Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rocking the Yudu!



Thank you to the 100+ friends, readers and BlogHer attendees that came to the Yudu Nation Meetup. I had so much fun! On Friday, I manned the ironing board — heat setting the printed totebags as they came off the press. On Saturday, I manned the silkscreen machines — chatting and demonstrating and giving attendees a chance to try the Yudu for themselves. I think pretty much everyone there was coveting a machine for themselves.



The Oh. My. Blog. design was the out-and-out favorite. We ended up really experimenting with that design. Mixing inks. Alternating heavy and light pressure to keep the printed design rough and urban feeling. I think they turned out so cool. And it was fun to show attendees how flexible the machine was.




I was also able to play around with Yudu's new 220 screen. It's specifically designed to work on paper (the screen that comes with the machine is perfect for fabric) and would be ideal for making stationery or posters.





Of the 100+ visitors, 75 of them entered the giveaway to win one of 4
Yudu Prize Packages — each worth $400! I'll be announcing the lucky winners later this week, so please check back.



The Yudu team brought a variety of silk-screened examples (tees, bags, wall art) so that attendees could get an idea of the Yudu machine's range. These canvases were a crowd pleaser. A series of four pre-made canvases, covered in a background coat of paint, and then silkscreened with images in metallic paint. Lovely, no?

A huge thank you to Yudu for sponsoring the event and providing materials and prizes. You can find more photos of the Yudu event here, and another report of the event at Currently Crafting.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

16 Comments:

Anonymous Ceci said...

I am SO curious about the Yudu- but I wasn't sure how it performed on paper. Examples that I had previously seen looked iffy. Can you tell me how it works with this new screen? Please fill me in- I'm on the edge of my seat ready to purchase one!!

Thanks!
Ceci

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 10:48:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tanya Smith said...

I have been totally looking for a good screen printing option. This is so expensive though, especially once you buy all the inks and accessories...Not sure I can afford it but it does make it all look so easy to do. Thanks for sharing!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 11:25:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Cherish said...

Sounds like you (and everyone who attended) had a lot of fun! The Yudu is definitely on my wish list :)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 11:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tonya Staab said...

Thank you so much for demonstrating the Yudu. It was fascinating and went straight on my wishlist ... hint, hint hubby as soon as I got home. You made it look so easy and I absolutely adored all of the wonderful things you were making with it.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 11:21:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Erin Bassett said...

Love that you showed us a paper example. thank you!
I've used the 110 screen on paper with good results, but can't wait to try the 220.

http://erinbassett.typepad.com

Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 12:58:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous corrin said...

It was great meeting you at Blogher. I had the BEST time playing with the Yudu! Definitely on my want list now.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 12:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Superdumb Supervillain said...

I was the first in line for the demo and it was totally impressive. And I even have a picture of you ironing tote bags posted:

http://superdumbsupervillain.blogspot.com/2009/07/blogher-09.html

crossing my fingers...

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 1:58:00 AM EDT  
Blogger ZDub said...

I stopped by and Friday and I am seriously ready to go into business silk-screening my guts out, it was so much fun!

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 3:01:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Jennifer Perkins said...

Provocraft gave me a YuDu and I have not had a chance to bust that bad boy out yet. Looking at your pictures is inspiring me, maybe this is the week.

Monday, August 3, 2009 at 9:01:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUDO Looks like a big scam. You cannot find out the price without giving your credit card number and personal information on their website.

If a company has to force those issues before telling you the price, this raises HUGE red flags.

Good luck to those of you who did get one....

Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 9:02:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very excited to get one of this, but I just can't find the price. So can somebody tell me how much it is?

Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 11:13:00 AM EST  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Wow. Two anonymous comments in the same day months after the original post went live. That's odd.

To Anonymous One:
I promise the Yudu is not a scam. It's made by Provo Craft, one of the largest craft companies in the country and sold at popular craft supply stores everywhere.

The best place to buy one is either Michaels or JoAnns. Both stores run frequent sales, so if you're patient, you may be able to pick up a Yudu at a discount. I'm not sure that the Yudu site even offers retails sales -- but I haven't checked lately.

To Anonymous Two: I just looked up Yudu on the JoAnn's website and it's listed for $299.00. Here's the link: http://www.joann.com/joann/search/search_results.jsp;jsessionid=K4WVCIKOJ1LHQP4SY5GVAFJ50LD3OUPU?CATID=cat1110&keywords=yudu&_requestid=2292194

Sunday, November 1, 2009 at 8:48:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

glad you found the regular price. I found them on overstock and amazon for around $200 but couldn't find the regular price. The "official" web site doesn't tell you

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 10:34:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how much is it for now! i went on the 4yudu website , i could not find a contact number. pls can u help me with that, thanks

Friday, November 6, 2009 at 10:27:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will never buy anything without contact info and a clear price why would they leave the price and company contact info off the site? it makes it smell and feel like a scam i retreated and had a local guy do our shirts

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 at 7:48:00 AM EST  
Anonymous jane odin said...

http://diyteeshirts.com/products/16

you can find the yudu for 199.00 at the above site along with accessories etc. (I don't work there.)

Thursday, February 18, 2010 at 11:34:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home