Monday, July 27, 2009

BlogHer Happy Things



I'm reflecting on the smart and funny people I met at the excellent BlogHer conference. The clever ideas shared. The meaningful discussions. The passion for social media I saw manifested over and over again (one conversation with Alana was particularly inspiring).


BlogHer is a conference like no other. It's a professional conference, but I'd guess about 50 percent of the attendees are not quite ready to define themselves as "professional bloggers" yet — maybe they're even attending BlogHer to find out if blogging-as-a-career is a viable path. And I would say a good portion of attendees are there for the social experience. To see old friends. To strengthen relationships. To meet bloggers they admire. That heavy social aspect is of course unusual at a professional conference.

Something about this mix of professional and not-yet-professional attendees creates much drama at BlogHer. Talented writers have been chronicling their thoughts on the subject here and here and here and here (and I'm sure many more places that I haven't taken time to read yet).

I will leave the pondering for the essayists, and stick with the pretty stuff. Because that's what I love to do on Design Mom. Here are a few things (among dozens) that made me happy at the conference this year.

1) There were many gifts, big and small, at BlogHer this year. I thought the takeout carton with tiny footcare goodies from Lego was especially brilliant (pictured above). A thoughtful gift, and a clever self-deprecating acknowledgement by Lego of their products' one existing drawback — the pain they cause when being stepped on.


2) The exchange of business cards is part of any conference. I loved seeing so many that were well-designed this year. Kelly Loubet had one outstanding example. Alexa Stevenson had a pretty letterpressed offering. And some were like their own small gift — Christy Nelson attached a shrinky dink with her info to a friendship bracelet. Jennui attached her info to a sleek lipgloss tin.


3) Dancing at the Mamapop Sparklecorn Party. You can find a dreamy picture of me with the unicorn cake here.


4) Seeing Ree from The Pioneer Woman in the hotel lobby. She took my photo and posted it the next day on her blog. She works hard to make everyone feel acknowledged. She is beautiful.

5) Watching Barbara Jones. I loved seeing the custom vintage-looking bowling shirt (pictured in an iconic photo here) she was wearing for her BowlHer party. Details like that make me happy. I kept calling her the Queen of BlogHer 09 — she was taking care of everybody and helping out wherever she could.

6) Getting a hand massage in the Microsoft Microspa and grilling the masseuse about massage ettiquette, culture and best practices.


7) While I was at dinner on Saturday Night, reading on Twitter about the Cheezburgher party being shut down and that guests were having their photos taken with the security guards. (Plus, getting back to the hotel and realizing that it wasn't shut down, it was just moved to the lobby — and there was still plenty of time to join in.)

8) Seeing Danny Seo in the Method Suite wielding some sort of powerful phone cleaning wand. And chatting with Janel from Apartment Therapy.

9) Attending the Nikon party in a beautiful restaurant right on the river and watching night kayakers go by. Plus also getting my picture snapped with Carson Kressley. (Will find that pic and post it asap...)

10) Finding a Mr. Potato Head from Playskool in the conference bag. So smart. Everybody loves Mr. Potato Head. All ages. All creeds. It's was a universal hit.

11) Announcing a BlogLuxe award at the Social Luxe Lounge and seeing blogging friends make a big Blogher debut with their super successful party. Yummy food. Manicures. Gorgeous henna tatoos (done freehand!). I also like the way that Swiffer (the major sponsor of the party) was understated about giving out samples. Instead of sending people home with product they just gave out a simple card saying: if you'd like to receive a Swiffer product, send them an email. Extra fun: meeting Hostess with the Mostess for the first time.

12) Hanging with Anna from Hershey's and handing out Hershey's Bliss Chocolate with the Kirtsy Girls. Laurie Smithwick. Laura Mayes. Gwen Bell. Also, I loved hearing how conference attendees were referencing the Hershey's Kirtsy Party Alertsy for their party info. So glad we could help! You can see photos of the big chocolate meetup here.

13) Being video-interviewed by Janice of 5 Minutes For Mom. It's always a treat to spend time with twins Susan and Janice. Also. The BCBG dress that Janice wore to the Nikon Party was my favorite outfit at BlogHer. Hands down. Gorgeous.

14) Lisa Stone (founder of BlogHer) and her fabulous hair. Lisa always looks beautiful, but her new long hair is out of sight. Hot!

Bonus number 15) Walking back from the Social Luxe Lounge and seeing President Obama drive by — with the entire presidential motorcade of course. I am not even kidding you.



Kirtsy Girls in the
Microsoft Microspa. Photo by BabyJi.
Find additional photos from Blogher09 here and here. More to come tomorrow on the Yudu Meetup, the Shutter Sisters Suite and other wonderful people I met...

add to kirtsy

30 Comments:

Blogger Mocha said...

This is a slice of genius and hope. (Like your hair. It's so beautiful.)

I love this and will reflect on it in my quiet time. My quiet time starts now...

OMMMMMMMM.

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 6:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

Wonderful round up of memories and highlights! I missed the Obama sighting. :( And I never stopped to get a hand massage. Just plain crazy of me!

I had such a fantastic time seeing you again. You are always a highlight!

THANKS for letting me interview you at the Nikon party! It was a blast.

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 6:27:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Christy said...

I definitely fall into that 'not a professional' blogger category - and I had a great time at the conference. Highlights for me included meeting you - TWICE! You are so gorgeous, and generous, and I'm so happy I met you! I can't wait to post my photos of us, and our fabulous red shoes!

Also, I'm so glad you linked up to that photo of you on Pioneer Woman's site - because she posted a photo of my daughter and my husband and listed it as unidentified! So I commented and told her they're mine! :-)

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 6:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger @BarbaraJones said...

Thank you for including me in such a fun and positive post about BlogHer. With all the 'other stuff' swirling about, it's nice to call out the 'happy things'. I seriously had a wonderful time and am reflecting about it all too (including shakin' some serious bootay with you on the dancefloor at Mamapop's fantastic party--extra special props for a kick butt DJ!!) Only problem with BlogHer was too many great people, too little time together. :-)

P.S. I'm also with you on Mr. Potato Head...my little 3 yo guy got it this morning and excitedly exclaimed 'OH, he's from Toy Story!' and went on to assemble and disassemble it for the next 30 minutes...that was my little slice of bliss.

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 6:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I had such a great time talking to you at the Shutter Sisters Suite!(and lost my new cardigan there)

I love my new YUDU nation tote bag and that you made ironing look like so much fun. Hope u do not mind when I post the photo---you look glamorous.

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 7:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Dinner with you was one of the highlights of my weekend too. What a wonderful round up.

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 8:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tonya Staab said...

What a fabulous recap. I loved meeting you at the Shutter Sisters Suite. Your Yudu demo was amazing. I also loved seeing you out there dancing up a storm and looking fabulous at the MamaPopRocks party.

Oh and my 2yrd old little man was up putting Mr Potato Head together at 10pm last night. He was thrilled :)

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 9:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

Thank you for such a happy BlogHer post!

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 9:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

As always, you are a pure delight to read.

Steph

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 11:30:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great recap. Yes, Lego was smart. I could feel the familiar foot pain again, even as I read.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 12:10:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

Oh gosh - so honored that my dress and I made your list! Thanks!!!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 2:01:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

Gabrielle, I love how you focused on the "happy things." Your positive outlook really makes me...well...happy.

I'm glad you had a good time. :)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 3:04:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Michelle-WhiteTrashMom said...

You are a dancing queen! Great to see you IRL.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 3:18:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous laurie said...

The limo ride back from Nikon was one of the highlights of my weekend. You are hilarious on top of every other thing! Thanks for this.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 9:18:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous shelbylynn said...

Thanks for sharing the highlights. What a great time.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 10:36:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Great re-cap! I wish I was there, would have loved to meet you:-)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 10:56:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Tricia said...

Thank you for finding -- and sharing! -- beauty and positive moments when so many others just shared the drama. I admire that.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 11:06:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Liz Stanley said...

sounds awesome, love reading all the feedback. i might have to make a trip next year for this!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 11:36:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

Like you, we love to just focus on the good at BlogHer. And it's funny, Janice and I were sooooo busy interviewing and chatting with awesome women that we never heard about any of the drama!

I think the solution to avoiding the drama is stay beyond busy.

It was so fantastic to see you again. You always are such an inspiration.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 12:13:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Isabel Kallman @AlphaMom said...

So honored to have made your list!

Just not enough time anymore at BlogHer to see and do all.

Love love love you.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 1:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

going for sushi with you and the ladies was a huge highlight for me. it set an awesome tone for the conference and I had a fabulous time. I also promise not to start DesignMum.com and just post crappy stuff. :-) You are sugar in person form.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 1:35:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you already, designmom. You're a blast to party with. You tell the best jokes. And dream with unicorns.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 1:40:00 PM EDT  
Blogger moosh in indy. said...

The Lego thing was a lovely touch.
I agree.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 1:52:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post, your recap of the conference, is a breath of fresh air. It was wonderful to see you again! Glad you had a good time in Chicago.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 1:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Alana said...

Just coming up for air after travel and reunion with family and read this excellent post. I really enjoyed our conversation too. For me that is the highlight of BlogHer every year - being able to talk, ponder and laugh about the subject we all have an intense passion for: technology and how we humans are using it for communication.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 3:33:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous casual friday every day said...

Your blogher sounds so much different than some other people's blogher. lol I guess it's all about each persons individual experience.

Nell

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 3:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Childhood said...

Thank you so much for the shout out... You were one of the first people I followed on Twitter and meeting you in the lobby in my stand-by travel-esque look was such a treat for me. You are so gracious and I can only hope to be so refined. Thank you for making me feel so at ease. And thank you for giving the readers a peek into the non drama side of BlogHer.

Kelly Loubet
@childhood

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 9:30:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Lisa Stone said...

That's it, I will never ever again change my hair. Or touch it. Or wash it. What a lovely compliment coming from you, the goddess of graceful cool. Thank you!

Gabrielle, thanks for sharing your insight and your presence at BlogHer '09. Houston and Mom 2.0, here I come!

Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 12:43:00 AM EDT  
Blogger The Double Dipped Life said...

Blogher sounds like so much fun! I would really like to attend one sometime!

Visit my NEW blog: http://doubledippedlife.blogspot.com

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 11:42:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Kage said...

I got my tix for blogher 10...you BETTER be there.

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 5:15:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home