Friday, July 14, 2006

Potholder Heaven





I'm admittedly picky when it comes to craft projects I'll do with/buy for my kids. They have to be a) good-looking, b) something that's truly functional, that we would really use, and c) because my hands are often full, if parents don't have to be involved in every step, the project gets lots of bonus points.

As cruel as this may sound, many crafts my kids bring home end up with a very short shelf life. For example, I'm not opposed to all sand art, but if it's in an ugly plastic bottle, and the bottle has a face (drawn with a sharpie, and not by my kid), and the sand is in depressing colors, then it's likely to magically disappear from my daughters desk at the next setting of the sun. (I do make the occasional exception if they're really pleased with a project.) The kinds or projects most likely to be successful and repeated at our house are things like making soap and making jewelry.

After buying every conceivable craft kit under the sun, I now have strong opinions about what is available. The klutz kits top my list of awesome crafts.


I particularly recommend the Potholder kit for someone like my daughter. At age 6/7, she can make them 100% on her own. I had to show her the 1st time, but that's it. You can observe her handiwork —potholders we actually use and 2 cute purses she likes to carry — above. The instructions are easy to follow and the materials are high quality.
I order my refills from klutz as well. The colors are great and they send tons in their refill, and all are the correct size for their loom.

Great for airplane rides and rainy days.
add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger jordan said...

Tell Maude I'd like one to match my yellow kitchen.

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 3:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mimi said...

Aunt Jordan,
Do you want any other color in your potholder? Or just yellow?

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 3:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger jordan said...

any other colors would be good. But I'd like to have at least a little yellow in it.

How much do you charge Maude?

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 3:57:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

Just found your blog. . . I love it! When's your next Art Market?

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 7:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Hi Lisa, glad you like it. I don't know when the next art market it. But I do know Maude will be selling potholders when it arrives.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 12:45:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home