Thursday, July 13, 2006

Disappointed by Melamine





I'm on a quest for darling plastic dinnerware. I have other unbreakable options in the cupboard, but they involve metal and don't work with the microwave.
The kids need something non-ceramic they can use to warm up their chocolate-chip cookies and pizza slices.

So plastic is in order. Something plastic, but pretty. The bummer is, everytime I find a great-looking plastic plate (like those pictured) it is inevitably made out of melamine which looks and feels like plastic, but is not for use in microwaves. Absolute torture.


The first person to hook me up with a source on cute, plastic, non-melamine plates wins my undying affection.
add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

When I first saw these I didn't expect them to be melamine so I immediatly found out where to purchase them. I love them.

BRAND: Percidio

Unfortunatly I cannot find them now - they are sold out where I have searched. Search ebay & you can find them every once in awhile.

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 1:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Thanks, Ashlynn. I'll keep on the lookout.

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 1:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mumsy said...

I thought I saw some at Target the other day. I'll expect a report when you find what you're looking for. Put Jordan on the job.

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 2:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Allysha said...

I saw some plates at Bed Bath and Beyond today that you might be interested in. They are technically melamine, but they are microwavable. No fancy colors or patterns- they're clear actually, with a slight brownish tint to them, but you might like them. I only saw plates, but I think they have bowls as well.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 11:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Thanks Allysha. Sounds like it's time for a fieldtrip to Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Monday, July 17, 2006 at 8:26:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Jill Fenichell and I own and design the melamineware line of tableware called Bongenre.com. Not to rain on the parade but no melamine should be microwaved -- and really no plastic anything should be either. You could teach the kids to use a microwave safe container and then place the food on attractive dinnerware. All plastics by their very nature when placed within the microwave may emit harmful gasses so that's why, as manufacturers, we all say - we don't know what it does but dishwash, don't zap.

Friday, September 8, 2006 at 11:59:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home