Friday, July 14, 2006

Oscar's Favorite Books



My 18-month old has only recently become interested in books. He especially loves anything that has a rhythym when you read it.

His current faves (all have a great rhythym and all have excellent, though widely differing, illustration):

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
Barnyard Dance
The Remarkable Farkle McBride
Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom
Bam, Bam, Bam

Although I bought it for me and not my kids, (I was taking an illustration class in college — pre-motherhood — and picked it up to study the illustrations), Bam, Bam, Bam has become a family favorite. It's a book featuring demolition and construction and I would recommend it as a first read-aloud for any boy. The illustrations are big, bright and simple with great colors. And if you shout out the Bam, Bam, Bams and Slam, Slam, Slams, the boys are hooked.
add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger steve u. said...

Anytime we are doing the girls' hair in the morning or gathering items for a trip and someone says anything about a comb and a brush, we have a chorus of "and a bowl full of mush" from one of our all-time favs, Goodnight Moon.

One of my happiest memories is taking Ike downtown to see Mike Mulligan excavate a big hole. He knew it wasn't Mike but played along and helped me yell at him to remember to leave a way out.

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 12:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

I love Goodnight Moon. It's probably time to introduce Oscar to the lovely volume. Thanks for the reminder.

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 1:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mumsy said...

We love Barnyard Dance. You gave me that when I was pregnant with Lilly and I couldn't wait to read it to her. She acts out the whole thing. I'm going to get the other books on your list now, too.

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 1:59:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lizzy said...

i thought about you the other day when i bought our newest book: the worm family. very blairish!

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 10:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger steve u. said...

Didn't you (don't you) buy the Caldecott winner every year? Now that you have logged considerable parenting and parent/child reading time, what is your take on Caldecott award winners? Of course, they are beautiful, but I'm interested in how they rank in terms of kids enjoyment compared to some of the good (maybe less beautiful) rhyming books you mention.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 12:11:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home