Monday, July 17, 2006

Pewter vs. China



I like to use the things I own. So, when registering for china during our engagement, I ended up choosing pewter instead and have never regretted it even for an instant.


Pewter looks good in casual and formal settings. It's unbreakable, so we use it all the time without having to worry about being careful with it. It picks up a nice patina as it ages. It combines well with other china. (Over the years, I've added china salad plates and dessert plates to my collection in patterns that look great on the pewter dinner plates.) It's easy to find pewter serving pieces — even pieces from pewter patterns different than my own look great when they're all together on the table.

My pattern is called Plough by Wilton Armetale. Matte finish, not shiny, so I don't have to spend time polishing. Lots of Wilton's designs are not awesome, but I like queen anne, country french and william and mary. I have to add pieces to my own pattern from ebay, because they have discontinued plough. Big mistake Wilton Armetale.
add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gab, does pewter get scratched when you cut on it? Does it need any special care?

Monday, July 17, 2006 at 10:29:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Yes, it scratches when you cut on it. Consider the scratches as additions to the patina.

As far as special care goes, the manufacturer recommends handwashing, but I've never followed that recommendation and have had no problems.

Monday, July 17, 2006 at 1:20:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home