Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Dish



Does anyone else have the Moon Landing Anniversary on their mind? It was 40 years ago this month. I believe July 20th to be exact. I've loved thinking about it. Imagining what it was like to watch it happening. And coincidentally, had two bits of media fall in my lap this week that helped me celebrate.


I picked up Interpreter of Maladies on the way to Chicago last Wednesday. A collection of short stories by Jhumpa Lahiri. I had read and liked The Namesake well enough, but I liked this so much better. I couldn't put it down. And the last story in the book (unbeknownst to me) features the original moon-landing prominently.

Second, on Sunday, our cousins lent us a DVD of The Dish. I had never heard of it before. But it was one of the more charming movies I've seen in a decade. Really wonderful. And all about the moon landing. Again. I had no idea that was the story line until we started watching. So it felt like a happy accident. I highly recommend a viewing before this anniversary month is out.
add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Emily Frame said...

i love jhumpa lahiri! a temporary matter was my favorite.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 12:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kristin Reinhard said...

I love The Dish, it is for sure one of my favorite movies! Just might have to bring out the DVD again and watch it this weekend!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 1:55:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous robin k said...

I loved The Namesake and want to read Unaccustomed Earth soon. Just added The Dish to my Netflix queue.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 3:33:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interpreter of the maladies is truly her best work!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 4:43:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous KateB said...

Love, love, love The Dish! Isn't it perfect? I am originally from New York but married an Australian and on my first trip home after moving to Oz, I took my family to see The Dish - a perfect introduction to my new home. So glad you like it!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 5:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Dansie Family said...

older members of my family was remembering where they were on that day, and my dad informed us he took a picture of the tv when Armstrong was walking on the moon, just in case no one recorded it. he still has the slide of it somewhere. we all had a good laugh.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 9:22:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Leisa Hammett said...

Oh, sweetie. Ur YOUNG. I watched it. Remember it well. Enjoying ur beautiful blog.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 10:27:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous D. said...

I just discovered Lahiri this year and I've plowed through everything of hers I could get my hands on. Love her work!

Also, I just wanted to pop by and say 'hi.' We met in the Shutter Suite at BlogHer, and it was lovely chatting with you, even for just a brief moment.

Monday, August 3, 2009 at 11:59:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home