Wednesday, January 27, 2010

This Week on Kirtsy



Hello Friends. I have two wonderful birth stories for you today — they'll be published in just a bit.

All these stories are suddenly feeling nearer and dearer. Why? Well, half my siblings are expecting little ones. In fact, my brother Josh and his wife Erin had a baby boy about a week ago. My sister Jordan (plus her husband Paul) is due any second. My brother Salem and his wife Megan are due in a few weeks. And then it's my turn. All the way in May. (Which might as well be 2011.)



In the meantime, here are some of my favorite kirtsy links from the last 7 days. (
Kirtsy is a site where anyone can share cool links — I'm one of the co-founders).

-The cleverest business card I've seen in awhile.

-Think you can't wear skinny jeans? Read this before you decide.

-Should you eat food that's fallen on the floor? Depends. Check this chart to be sure.

-Fun! DJEarworm — the guy we were all crushing on at Alt Summit — was written up by CNN.

-Do you have a crazy but loving family? Here's a casting call just for you.

-This blog is in French, but even if you don't speak a word, you will fall in love with the images.

-You knew it was coming: the first tweet from space.

-When did you start your baby on solid foods? These guys argue you can start before 3 months. Hmmmm.

-How do you talk to your kids about something awful like the Haiti Earthquake?

-Did you watch Oprah's show on texting while driving? Conclusion: cell phones and driving don't mix.

-This is what my workspace will look like in heaven.


What about you Dear Readers? Found anything good on Kirtsy lately? Posted anything cool there?
Also, isn't it fun when you have a sibling that's expecting a baby at the same time as you?

images via Little Circus

Labels:

add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger April Kennedy said...

Thank you Gabby! You've just successfully added an additional 30 minutes to my blogging day with "this week on kirtsy" and I LOVE IT!

Just registered on Blogher so I can comment. I'm a 10/12 pear and rock skinny jeans!

Also, my sister and I had our two girls just 6 months apart....and five years later....our two boys 4 months apart. They are all best friends.

Thinking alot of Jordan and Paul as they embark on this new journey with baby number two. Our second was born with spina bifida and it is a journey I wouldn't trade for the world. I pray they embrace theirs and know just how special of a journey it will be.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 11:58:00 AM EST  
Blogger mommyroo said...

your blog is in my top 3 faves. and does a better job 'curating' then Kirtsy - it's just to much over there -who has the time?meanwhile DesignMom ROCKS and should be the one with the H G T V contract.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 1:12:00 PM EST  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

April - Thank you for the sweet words. You'll be glad you registered at BlogHer -- Susan Wagner (the one who wrote the skinny jeans post) is one of my favorite fashion writers. Yay for close cousins. And Yay for Jordan and Paul.

Mommyroo - Wow. I'm honored to be in your top 3. And I hear you that kirtsy gets overwhelming -- so many good stories! Sometimes, I just stick to one category (click in the brown bar at the top) like Design & Crafts so that I can focus.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 3:10:00 PM EST  
Blogger Carina said...

My blood pressure started rising when I read "When did you start your baby on solid foods? These guys argue you can start before 3 months. Hmmmm."

When I clicked through, what a surprise! The link goes to an article on baby-led weaning which is what we do--no purees or mashes--going straight to table foods, and only starting when baby can feed himself (no spoon-feeding.) I love hearing about more parents practicing this intuitive version of baby feeding.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 5:37:00 PM EST  
Blogger Michelle said...

Great link to the Baby Led Weaning article, this is what I've done with my second child and it's been a revolution!!! It's incredible what a proficient and adventurous eater she is now.

But they definitely don't advocate starting solids before 3 months as you mentioned - it's about waiting till baby is showing signs of readiness around 6 months!!!

Friday, January 29, 2010 at 1:06:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home