Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Alt Summit Highlights



For me, the best part of Altitude Design Summit was seeing this event I'd worked on with my heart and soul come together so beautifully. For ages and ages I've been craving a gathering of design bloggers — to talk shop, meet in real life, and just feel more like the community that they are. To see it come to fruition was a wonderful as I hoped it would be.

I'm eternally grateful to everyone who enthusiastially attended, prepared presentations, helped with organization and made the conference fantastic. I can't wait till next year. Can't wait.



Some highlights I don't want to forget:

-Getting to know many, many blog authors I'd been reading for years.

-Seeing people loving their welcome bags — you can get a peek at the contents here.

-The red carpet (with paparazzi!) and cigarette girls at the Old Hollywood Party. Plus fantastic live music by Dana Parish.



-Being inspired at the keynote breakfast — the speakers were so interesting:
Dooce announced her new deal with HGTV that day.
Maxwell from Apartment Therapy is in the middle of a big window design contest. You can vote twice a day (by text and by computer) here
(go vote!).
Jean from NotCot paid a visit to a super cool (as in ice) Sundance party the night before.
And Grace talked a little bit about the new design she's working on for Design*Sponge.
All very exciting.


-Seeing Erik Natzke's gorgeous artwork come to be during the keynote lunch.



-Watching the audience get super-psyched during DJ Earworm's presentation. (This video is a mashup he created from the the top 20 Billboard hits of 2009.)


-Reading the tweets that were coming from the Alt Summit attendees from the slopes of Solitude on Saturday.




-Talking in the hotel lobby bar till super late every night. The venue was stunning. Absolutely 5-star service. On the day I checked in, my sister Sara arranged for the hotel to bring this grand piano to my room. Grand piano as in Grand America. Nice. It's completely made of chocolate. And there were truffles hiding inside. Maxwell took lots of great pictures of the hotel — see here.



The official event photographer, Brooke Dennis, is still uploading photos to flickr. But you can see my Alt Summit photos here. Also, if you want to read more about the conference, here are some excellent wrapups:

From Victoria of sfgirlbybay
From Liz of Say Yes to Hoboken

From Karey of Mackin Ink
From Ellie of Mint

From Joy of Oh Joy!

add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Next year's conference is on my list of "must attends!"

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 3:24:00 PM EST  
Anonymous victoria said...

thank you again for making room for me at the last minute! i can't say enough about how amazing the event was, and all of your hard work was made to look so seamless and easy, when i know it must have been a huge undertaking. i only heard rave reviews!! thanks so very much for an amazing adventure!! xo victoria

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 5:08:00 PM EST  
Blogger Stephanie said...

G-

You did such a great job assembling this conference and filling a real need. It came off famously and I know we are all excited for next year's event already!

p.s. I too loved the Raggedy Ann party...met the gal who threw it at Alt!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 5:22:00 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

looked like a blast.

For those not knowing if they should attend or not (for next year)--what would you suggest a blog's viewership/numbers be before going to the alt conference? I wasn't sure if it was only for "bigger" bloggers/website admin. thanks

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 5:44:00 PM EST  
Blogger kalanicut said...

Gabrielle,

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on ALT! I was so bummed I couldn't make it. I have heard so many rave reviews and I hope that all the excitement is a great payoff for the many long, less glamorous hours of work all along the way!

I have loved reading all the reviews, notes and tweets that people have so generously shared! Thank you!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 8:02:00 PM EST  
Blogger Sarah said...

I want a chocolate grand piano <3

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 8:53:00 PM EST  
Blogger marta said...

ooh chocolate baby grands. can't get enough of this 'grandeous' event. thanks to all of you who put it together and now are blogging about it so we get in on some of the goods. word on the street is it was a stellar great party. i would expect no less from you, my dear.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 11:02:00 PM EST  
Blogger Anna @ IHOD said...

Thanks for the re-cap. Hoping I can go next year! looks like it was amazing!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 9:54:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Garden Beet said...

what a great idea - living in cyber and toddler world all the time can be weird - great to share with others

Friday, January 29, 2010 at 10:15:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Boston Mamas said...

Of course it was beautiful and fabulous!

I so wanted to come this year but just couldn't make it work. I hope to attend next year! -Christine

Saturday, January 30, 2010 at 10:18:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home