Friday, October 02, 2009

Donna McEvoy's Pregnancy Thoughts


My mom and baby me.

Navajos believe that those closest to the Spirit World are new babies, pregnant women, and the very old. That's because babies are newly arrived from the Spirit World, the expecting mother is in contact with the SW, and the old person will soon depart for the SW. (Navajo friends, correct me if necessary).

It fits. As a lady-in-waiting, you feel a Spirit close, and the new babies, well, we all arrive as Wordsworth says: "...trailing clouds of glory do we come...from God who is our home."


PS: In later years a hysterectomy gave me a new realization. The surgery made me feel cut off from the Eternities. As a women capable of bearing children, I had felt that privileged connection.

From my Mother, Donna McEvoy (who is on a mission in Russia, by the way).


Stanley Christmas card photo from 1976. Jake, Rachel, Sara, Joshua and me.

Note from Design Mom: My parents worked as teachers among the Navajo Nation for years. In fact, my oldest brother Jake, is a member of the Navajo tribe.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger Alisha said...

Where I grew up is only a few miles from the Navajo reservation in New Mexico. I have lots of friends that are Navajo. Small world.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 1:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Stacy said...

I have loved reading the Pregnancy Thoughts posts. As a mother of 4, I feel an automatic connection to other women who see the beauty in bringing children into the world.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 1:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

My favorite one yet. And - you look just like Betty and Oscar! :)

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 1:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Artfulife said...

Gabrielle my dad went on a mission to the Navajo reservations in the 4 corners area. I have always enjoyed his stories about the quiet and humble people he taught the gospel. Love this, never heard it before but it does make so much sense. Hope you have a great weekend & congratulations on your upcoming addition to your family.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 3:48:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Ella A. said...

I've really enjoyed your motherhood posts. It was perfect timing, I am 12 weeks along and feeling pretty blech and this was a wonderful reminder of why we put ourselves through morning sickness and other various pregnancy discomforts. It really is the most amazing thing- motherhood. Congratulations on your pregnancy and thanks for the great posts!

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 5:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Amy said...

loved it. thanks for sharing.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 8:45:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why can't i view your september 2006 archive? there was a picture of a bedroom that i wanted to replicate.

Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 8:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Amanda said...

I am sitting on the precipice of huge change as my 3rd, and presumably, last baby prepares to wean. 3 in 4 years. An abundance of riches in so many ways. Congratulations on your beautiful life and wondrous family!

Sunday, October 4, 2009 at 2:57:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Petit Elefant said...

I love how much your kids with Ben Blair look so much like a combination of your baby photos and his.

Seriously, a perfect combination of two parents.

Monday, October 5, 2009 at 5:55:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting to learn about the Navajos! Is your brother adopted Gabby?

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 at 8:28:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Patty said...

I just had a hysterectomy after giving birth to four beautiful children. I do not feel cut of from the enternities of birth giving women. My uterus does not make me who I am. I loved it for allowing me to have my kids, but its work was done and for my overall health it needed to go.

Peace!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 at 11:30:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Kelly said...

Gabby, little Maude is your twin. What a beautiful baby you were.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 12:06:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home