Friday, October 02, 2009

Julia Blair's Pregnancy Thoughts


Robert and Julia Blair with their oldest 3 kids, Margaret, Dell and Bobby.

I'm honored and delighted to remember my child-bearing days.

I'll soon be 77 and I find myself wondering how I could ever have complained about the joy and thrill of having a new baby. Of course I remember the queasiness, the awkwardness, the ordered bed-rest, etc. But mostly I am consumed with wonder and gratitude and nostalgia for the soft, helpless, beautiful babies that came through me.

I marvel how I treasure the memory and the joy of holding and nursing a new-born babe. Thinking now as a great-grandma, about the responsibility and trust placed on us naive, new and young parents, I stand all amazed! The miracle through it all is love, love, love along with faith and trust and knowing that we follow long lines of mothers, mothers, mothers! Families! Families! Families!


From my Mother-in-law, Julia Blair.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger N. Tipps said...

I love this. I tend to only remember the horrible parts of pregnancy and newborns. I have a 4 week old baby and right now I want to be done! But this makes me realize I could do it again.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 8:30:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Amy said...

beautiful. what fabulous perspective that I needed to hear.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 8:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger anna said...

What a magical thing to hear.... your mother in law's words were like a gift to me today. I am grateful! Thank You both!

Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 10:44:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Emily said...

This was very beautiful and touching. Thank you.

Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 12:49:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Hailey said...

CONFIRMED: All I've ever wanted to be is a grandmother! I hope I can be half as articulate and just as loving as Julia Blair! Thank you so much for this! ~~ also, that picture is so cute, I giggled when I saw it. ~~ also, I hope I can be that cool of a m-i-l!

Monday, October 5, 2009 at 2:21:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home