Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Laurie Smithwick's Pregnancy Thoughts



Bob and I had been trying to get pregnant for almost a year and it had finally worked. Somehow I convinced him to come with me to the OB’s office because, you know, he absolutely had to be there every step of the way. It turns out my OB/Gyn performs an early ultrasound at your first visit, just to confirm a “baseline” healthy pregnancy. So there we are, staring at the underwater outer-space forms on the tiny screen, with the OB decoding all the circles and clouds for us. She finds the baby’s tiny fluttery heartbeat and Bob and I laugh, thrilled, relieved and amazed. Then she’s quiet for a minute or two and finally says, “Okay, now I’m going to show you guys something that’s going to really freak you out.”


Bob and I look at each other. Really? Is she allowed to say things like that?


“See that circle? That’s your baby. And it looks great. And that cloudy area there is blah blah blahdy blah blah.”


“Oh get on with it please,” I want to say. “What are you trying to tell us?”


And then she points to something on the screen and says, “Do you see that circle there?”


I see it.


“That’s your other baby.”


At which point Bob and I explode into maniacal laughter that lasts for two weeks. No, seriously, every time we looked at each other we started to laugh. For weeks. Two babies.

Nine hilarious inflated months later, we become the proud, delighted, overwhelmed, underslept, blissful, and terrified parents of identical twin girls.

And seven years after that, looking back on that day in the doctor's office, I believe I can see a lesson: Learn to embrace the lack of control that having kids brings into your life.


Gabby, I know you don't need to learn this lesson -- you are the guru of acceptance. But it can never hurt to be reminded of just how very little control we have over even the most major events in our lives.
And when that loss of control gives way to things like this:


...which can then give way to things like this:


...it's hard to miss it too terribly much.



Super humongo congratulations to you, Gab, and Ben Blair, and your whole fantastic gang. But the biggest congratulations of all go to Baby Six, who has no idea what a dream of a family he/she has landed him/herself in. Bravo to you all.

From Laurie of Leap Design and Kirtsy.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

15 Comments:

Anonymous Jennifer (Savor) said...

Excellent writing, Excellent reminder and I am thrilled to see your two little lesson givers.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 12:03:00 PM EDT  
Blogger mrs boo radley said...

I love this story and the lessons learned from it!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 12:09:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous mary said...

I loved reading this, Laurie!!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 12:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tanna Clark said...

I am loving these stories so much Gabrielle! My baby turns 3 this month and it goes by so quickly. Congratulations on #5 wow. Laurie, I met you at Type-A Mom this weekend. What beautiful girls you have! It was nice meeting you.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 12:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

My 2.5 year old little girl is down for a nap so I had 2.5 minutes to read this. What a wonderful reminder. I needed this today. Thank you, truly.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 2:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger christa elyce said...

the photos of the babes made my heart stop!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 2:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger TheIsom8 said...

Loved this story and thought. We have 6 kids that all came at times when things were going crazy and we lost the pregnancies we planned. One thing I have learned is accept things when they come and then adventures begin. Thanks for sharing this story.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 2:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger moosh in indy. said...

Word.
I want to give birth to both of you.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 5:04:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tali said...

beautiful! I am absolutely choked up over here. What a great series of posts. Being a mom is the best gift.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 7:52:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Petit Elefant said...

I can't. Stop. Crying.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 8:15:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kiera said...

I just started to cry. Beautiful.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 8:40:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Rachel said...

AH- yay! I was so thrilled to read this story... I just had the nearly same experience 3 weeks ago... and found out in our early ultrasound that I am having twins--- due April 1st (we thought the date was part of the joke... but no). You're so right, it is something that you can just hardly get over. I'm 23 and so excited to grow my family from 1 child to 3... holy cow. :)
I'm glad Gabrielle is pregnant also because now she will be sharing wonderful pregnant-related stuff all the time: as if she got pregnant just to keep me purely enthralled during my daily blog-reading adventures. Bliss!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 9:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger liz said...

this was a good reminder for me. just this week I have been pulling out my hair at how unpredictable and not in my full control my life is. and that is just how it's gong to go for a while accepting that makes it a lot more fun for all of us involved!

thanks for this post- loved it

Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 12:14:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

The photos of the girls make me grin every time I see them.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 11:41:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous laurie said...

I love this.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 10:48:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home