Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Decor-in-a-jar — by Guest Mom Cathe Holden



If you stand still in my house long enough, you're likely to get pickled.

I pickle most everything, sans the vinegar. Placing virtually any non-food objects in jars creates instant decor. Walking through my house the other day I noticed that I actually have more glass encased stuff than I would have ever guessed. I think of it as 3-dimensional framing.



Simple glass canisters make the best displays. In one I have a nest found abandoned in my father-in-law’s Sonoma vineyard by my kids while picking grapes. In another, cotton picked by my grandfather when he was young. Beads, buttons, nature finds, miscellaneous craft scraps and vintage game pieces fill other jars or bottles. I’ve a candy jar that holds a chubby little wooden horse carved and painted by my dad a few years ago and a large apothecary jar filled with potpourri and old book pages. One of my favorites is a little mason jar that holds a collection of unique rocks from camping trips that my children, as a tradition, find just for me.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger PUMPKIN PETUNIA said...

I love jars too! My favorite jar fillers are split peas.

We also have jars filled with sea glass and shells and label them with the season and year they were collected. It has become a great memory keeper and they look fantastic all lined up and labeled in our bookcase.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 1:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lauren said...

Pre-children days, we kept Japanese fighting fish in different jars/vases lining an open staircase...it was so pretty!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 1:49:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this - so easy and a great way to add color and dimension! Plus, kids can help.

Posted it on Kirtsy!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 2:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Leililaloo said...

I want to thank you very much for your kind words on my ribbons earlier this month on your blog. I just found out...And feel very honoured.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 2:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Little Lovables said...

I love this! I also have cotton picked by my husband displayed in a vintage ice cream dish.

Sadly, I had to take down MOST of my precious displays due to my 3 year old climber, so it's nice to see wonderful displays.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 3:23:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this post!
I like to collect and display stuff in my studio this way.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 4:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Fratzels said...

That's great! I have a jar of buttons on display but never thought of putting anything else out. Thanks for the idea.
I have severl antique candy jars, so maybe now I will fill them.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 4:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Cathe Holden said...

Ha! I just noticed my glass canister of nail polish bottles in the bathroom! It looks like a candy jar with all the colors.

Thanks for all the great comments from everyone. Being Guest Mom on Design Mom is so amazing!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 4:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beau said...

Cathe, beautiful! sweet collections and what a wonderful way to display them!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 4:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

Absolutely delightful blog post!! I'll be back!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 4:52:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

love your jars. I am always thinking of things to put in mine, and you've given me some new ideas!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 5:46:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your jars. Right now I have red winter berries in over-sized canning jars. You have given me some great new ideas to extend the design by adding other elements!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 11:03:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home