Monday, August 25, 2008

Sketchbook: Never Leave Home Without It — By Guest Mom Cathe Holden



As a graphic designer I have sketched and thumbnailed thousands of ideas over the years relating to client projects. Since becoming a parent I find my sketchbooks now overflowing with birthday cake and invitation designs, sketches of my children, ideas for unique products that are sure to make me millions (...lots of those), lists, quotes & scripture that hold special meaning, and many other things that pop into my head on a daily basis. Occasionally I will revisit past sketchbooks to find myself in different chapters of parenthood.

The turning point page is the one with tiny sketches of all the office furniture from my downtown design firm. This page takes me back 13 years ago when I made the decision to leave a corporate life and become a work-at-home mom. It’s a sketch of office furniture that I had in my office with my husband’s handwriting in the measurements. He helped me figure out what would fit in my new home-office in the garage, and what had to go. A bittersweet time then, but a blessing many times over.




I have a preference for large spiral-bound sketchbooks, found at most craft and art supply stores, for business and home. Moleskine blank journals are a favorite for keeping in my purse and car to log my thoughts on the go. Sketchbooks are my form of journaling life, one doodle at a time.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

9 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Oh, I totally agree...I'm a moleskine addict! Cathe, I just clicked over to your blog and love it. Thanks, Gabby, for introducing us to such fabulous designy moms!

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 4:41:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sandra Williams said...

congrats on your feature...and what a wonderful feature it is too!
I love how you use your sketchbook for everyday life...very inspiring!
-Sandy
The Eclectic Studio

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 4:42:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Britt said...

I do the very same thing, and I love it! Although not quite the skilled sketcher, I'm more of a writer. I always have a notebook on me. I look forward to your posts this week!

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 5:49:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful idea. My husband says he is going to start journaling, because he can't remember a thing. I might slip one of these into his briefcase!

Congrats to Cathe on the feature article!

Tawnya

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 6:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger heather said...

THis is such a great idea. I am always meaning to write things down, but really don't have a place for it.

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 6:15:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kate said...

I have a spiral notebook obsession as well. I love a steno pad to plan a party with. I wish I had kept them all from the previous parties, birthdays, events in our lives, but maybe I will from now on. Great idea. Where do you keep your old ones, if you don't mind me asking? I'm already running out of room for things!

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 7:07:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moleskine is always in my bag, too. And not only one :-)

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 3:42:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog. I always carry a notbook with me for whenever inspiration hits. Mine is almost full though and this would be a fabulous replacement!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 11:38:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Cathe Holden said...

Thanks for all the great comments annie, sandra, britt, tawnya, chris & co., kate, karmen and brandi! You made my first big day of fame just perfect!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 2:39:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home