Monday, August 25, 2008

Balloon Wishes & Auction Update



Here is Olive. Sending up our balloon wishes for Stephanie and Christian. Such a beautiful tradition. We were happy to participate.






Here is an update on Nie Nie Day. First of all, thank you so much for the tremendous response, via both email and comments. Seriously. I am beyond impressed. From what I can tell, there will be all sorts of wonderful auctions (40+ and counting) and special posts happening on Thursday — so exciting! I've got a list of links started and I'll continue adding to them as I prepare Thursday's posting.

For those who have sent in questions on how to run your auction, here's the 411. I'm no auction expert, but this is my plan:

On Thursday, I'll write a post about the prize and sponsor and Nie Nie Day. And then I'll leave the first comment, saying something like: I bid $10. The next person could comment: I bid $11. And so on.

As the auction progresses, bidders will need to check the most recent comments, to see what the current high bid is. I plan to leave the auction open through the weekend. Allowing bids through Sunday night.

[ Edit: L Angerbauer sent a helpful email recommending that a good place to find Auction tips is here. She mentioned that the most important instructions to include on your auction are the time the item ends (including an exact hour) and what bid increments are accepted (like no pennies or quarters-must bid in full dollar amounts.) ]

Once the winning bidder is identified, they'll send money directly to the Stephanie & Christian Paypal fund. And I'll put them in contact with the sponsor to get their prize.

For those of you who plan to participate with your own auctions, feel free to run them however you please. You can follow a plan similar to mine, or vary it in any way you'd like. You could even hold your auction on ebay.

Most of all. Thank you. Thank you so much for participating in any way you can. I'm really looking forward to Thursday.

add to kirtsy

18 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

This is just the greatest.


My little corner of the world isn't nearly popular enough to make a ton of dinero on a silent auction, but I'll do my best to make a difference. I'll be hosting one on Thursday.

http://katietimothy.blogspot.com

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 1:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Disco Mom said...

Me, too, I've got a little something taking shape to auction off. What a great idea. Can't wait to see all the auctions and posts!

http://discomom.blogspot.com

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 6:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jules said...

I echo Katie's comment...it won't be much, but my sister and I want to help and will host an auction on my blog:

http://summerprojection.blogspot.com. Thanks for being the organizing force behind it all!

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 9:04:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Darleen said...

Hi Gabrielle, I've been meaning to email you, but I'll just leave a comment. I'm planning to do a silent auction of my jewelry on my blog. Anything for NieNie! I just love that girl and want to help out anyway possible.

http://darlingdarleen.blogspot.com

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 10:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger barterboutique said...

please add me to your list of auctioneers. i'll be auctioning off a customized photo enhancement like this. love and support for nie nie!

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 11:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger allie said...

Count me in. I'm working on my little silent auction at http://wordcandyvinyl.blogspot.com.
Thanks! I am looking forward to the chance to help even if just a little bit.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 1:47:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Grosgrain said...

OH don't forget to add time zone in the 'end of auction'.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 11:33:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Amy said...

I don't know Stephanie, I just found out about her after their tragic accident. I have been touched by how much support there has been for their family and I would like to help too. So add me to your list!

http://vintagefern.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 12:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kara jayne said...

I'll be auctioning off some items for Nie on my site on Thursday. Thanks for getting this rolling!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 12:54:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be hosting one on Thursday with a little creation and vintage find:
mylongestyear.com

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 3:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Michelle @ Twig said...

so one more clarification on the auctioning, do people comment in your comments for our items or do they need to link to our own blog and comment there?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 4:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Michelle @ Twig said...

after reading several people's comments, i think i realize that people will comment in my own box, i will have them pay through my paypal and then give the money to the stephanie and christian fund and send them the item, correct??? Thanks! www.simpleebe.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 4:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Megan said...

I too will have an auction going on thursday
http://tewmuch.blogspot.com/
Thank you for putting this together. We all love Stephanie and it is nice to find a way to help.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 7:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Rhonda said...

sign me up for the auctions too http://blotkamp.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 7:40:00 PM EDT  
Blogger acte gratuit said...

Hi Design Mom,
I'll also be hosting an auction featuring some cool Japanese goods! See you tomorrow! (Or in two days since I'm ahead of you over here!)
Thanks for doing this!
www.actegratuit.blogspot.com
Emilky

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 8:57:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kelly B. Rightsell said...

I would like to contribute to the auction. Do I send you an item description or photo? I've never done an online auction. Thanks! Kelly

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 10:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger MelancholySmile said...

Thanks for hosting NieNIe Day! What a great idea! I also really liked the balloon launch idea, and my husband made a video about our launch. I can't wait to spend the weekend bidding on items!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 10:06:00 AM EDT  
Blogger noodle and lou said...

I'm hoping and praying for a BIG turn out at my blog tomorrow!!! Thanks bunches for hosting NieNie day!!!

xox...jenn
http://noodleandlou.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 10:31:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home