Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ask Design Mom: Boy Clothes

A popular topic in Ask-Design-Mom emails is boy clothes. I get lots of questions along these lines: I have 2 sons. I see lots of great clothing for girls out there. But what about the boys?

And I totally feel their pain. It does seem that for every one line of boys clothing, there are a dozen boutiques focused on girls. Well. Never mind that. There are lots of fantastic lines out there with boys on the brain. Here are some great ones:



Wonderboy
All boy. All the time. Casual pieces that are always interesting.
I've met the husband-wife team behind this line at two different trade shows. They are both delightful. They not only design the clothing, they also design the textiles they use. Which is extraordinary. You can find a list of retailers on their site or see some of their line at small concept.




babysusu
For boys through age 4. Beautifully constructed with a dressier, more modern feel. Find this line at places like petitluxe and citibabes.



Original Penguin
For toddlers and school-age boys. Original Penguin launched with golf shirts for men in the 1950's. They have very hip mens and womens lines and they've recently expanded with a selection for boys. This line is perfect for that leave-it-to-Beaver look.

Do you have any favorite boy clothing lines?

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't check to see if you listed this one already I love the boys line at tea collection

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 3:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Ana Carini said...

How cute are those! I can definitely see my boys wearing these clothes! Nice to meeting you, you have been linked on my blog!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 4:04:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Chelsea said...

Those are darling! I also love knuckleheads for boys. true boy style.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 6:47:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone asked the question I had been wondering! The lads can looks swank too. Thanks for the links.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 9:43:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great info. I have a boy on the way and have been thinking about clothing. It's so easy to find cool stuff for my little girl, definitely not for a boy...

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 9:49:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Disco Mom said...

We like Mr. Tiny, American Apparel for affordable basics, Kate Quinn Organics, and Speesees yoga pants. It's a dilemma, truly. Awesome boy clothes are hard to come by and I'm so sick of cargo pants and graphic tees!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 10:41:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Disco Mom said...

Plain onesies and t-shirts can also be very easily and simply embellished and personalized if you have a few minutes and an inclination to do so.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 10:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kate said...

I don't know how specific lines, but a great store in my area just got an online store. She has great taste.
www.redwagonclothing.com She just went online a couple of days ago I think, so I'm not sure what she has on there, but she has darling boy stuff. She also has WONDERFUL girl things, which is why my husband hates her! ;)

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 11:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Grosgrain said...

Thank you for this post! I totally agree with you about the boy clothes thing! And I've heard the same thing from my readers too. I wish I had a boy to model some of my clothes so I could make a few for boys. Ahhh, who knows perhaps next year?

Thanks for the post! My favorite is the wonderboy shirt with the cowboy hat:)

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 9:20:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Amber said...

I have 3 boys so I totally know what you are talking about with boy clothes. These are all so cute. Thanks for sharing!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 11:31:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Mode Boutique said...

If you can find a boutique that carries them, Cheap Monday does some awesome kids clothing with a bit of an edge.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 6:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Hannah said...

Finally! Such great suggestions! I usually get all of my son's clothes at H&M because they're different and if - if? - when he destroys them he doesn't also destroy my bank account. But it's nice to have new options. Thank you, thank you.

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 12:49:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Leciawp said...

Great post - thanks for the tips. Almost everything I've bought for my two boys is from Hanna Andersson - great quality, lasts forever, great looking.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 at 12:48:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home