Monday, March 10, 2008

SXSW


photo by Karen of Chookooloonks

I'm back from Austin. And it is good to be back. Things I want to tell you about:


1) How incredibly nerdy-awesome SXSWi is. As in 99% of attendees were 21-30 year old males who love to spend hours building lego sculptures (and if at all possible, motorizing them), wear flip flops through all four seasons and think Facebook's announcement yesterday (that Facebook is now in French) was a life-changing piece of news (either because they live on Facebook or because they are so-over-Facebook and are offended that anyone has deemed it newsworthy).

I've hung out with people like this all my life and I always enjoy it, but it was a tiny bit disappointing that I was with thousands and thousands of people and there was no one to notice my cute shoes. :)



2) How fun it was to meet Heather and Jon Armstrong. They are lovely and basically stood in a reception line for hours and hours so that adoring fans (the sk*rt chicks included) could kneel at the alter of Dooce and pay their compliments.

The image “http://sk-rt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/dsc_0099.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

3) How delightful it was to host the sk*rt meet-up yesterday with yummy cupcakes, prizes from Everyday Food and lots and lots of attendees who braved the cruel daylight savings time change to join us for breakfast. Oh. And there was a unicorn.

The image “http://sk-rt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/dsc_0138.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Plus more stuff. Like how this was the third time Laura and Laurie and I met in person — and how they are the most bestest people to work with. Yummy lunch at the Whole Foods flagship. Meeting and hanging out with some awesome sk*rt editors — like Karen and Gwen and Betsy. Power-lunches with Shannon and Jesse. And on and on and on.


But really, until I have photos (someone please send me photos), this is the most boring story in the world. (And even with photos, I fully realize that this story is mostly for my mom.) And thus I end my picture-less report.

Edit: Oh. Hooray! I found some great shots on Gwen's flickr page. Thanks Gwen! And more photos from Laurie. And even a photo from Karen. This post is now overflowing with glorious photos.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

What a blast...it looks so warm and sunny!

Monday, March 10, 2008 at 1:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mom in Mendon said...

Fun weekend, Hon. Thanks for sharing.

Monday, March 10, 2008 at 2:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Amie Adams said...

So glad you had a good time! Though I have to say now that I'm a little worried that I may not be hip enough to be a Sk-rt chick.

Look at how cute you all are!!!

Monday, March 10, 2008 at 2:26:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So fun! And, for the record, I admired your shoes. They were super cute!

Monday, March 10, 2008 at 3:26:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't wear flip-flops all year-round. They are hard on my hooves.

Monday, March 10, 2008 at 3:27:00 PM EDT  
Blogger simply kris said...

gabreille-are you a blondie now? so summer-y! (is that a word?) when are you coming to Utah for a visit? so we can hang. i will definitely give props where props are due in the footwear department.

Monday, March 10, 2008 at 4:42:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Bek said...

You live the life (and I was also going to ask if I just missed the blonde before...but it looks GREAT)...

Good to see photos of Laura and Karen too... what great women!

Monday, March 10, 2008 at 7:01:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Sounds like you had fun. Thanks for representing sk*rt. I'm happy to be a part of it.

Monday, March 10, 2008 at 7:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger karey m. said...

YOU MET DOOCE?!

it all sounds utterly cool...made my heart swell a bit that i get to be a wee little part of sk*rt!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 2:38:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So fabulous. You ladies rock. Thank you for making my time at SX super fun. And I will wear my editor tiara w/pride. <3

Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 5:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kyran said...

i may have to print the top photo to hang on my fridge door and pretend it was taken just for me. :-)

wish I could have been there.

xo

k.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 at 11:23:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your so artistic! great pics here!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 3:11:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home