Friday, September 22, 2006

Mid-Century Modern — by Guest Mom Lisa V. Clark


Print and Pattern Blog


Design Sponge Blog

I always find something I love on these sites. I love minimalism, but find it difficult to live up to its ideals because I have four children and they all have "stuff." I'm really good at throwing things away, thanks in large part to a father who used to say "Just throw it away!" at least three times a day growing up. If I really need it, or wish I had an item back, I can always buy a new one (saying that makes the cheap miser in my cringe, but I say it like I mean it at any rate). To be honest, I've never had to do that.

Living without a lot of stuff makes life easier in a lot of ways. Less stuff to clean up, less stuff to worry about, take care of, or occupy your mind. A good rule of thumb: If you something new comes into your home, something else must exit. It makes you appreciate what you have. Clothes, toys, kitchen accessories, etc. This philosophy does NOT apply to books, lipstick, DVDs, music, or photos, however.

A new philosophy I'm exploring: only have things in your home that are beautiful and that you really, really love. It is worth it to spend a little more on a plate or cake pedestal, for example, that you are absolutely crazy about, then to have a couple you think are tolerable. If they are just taking up space, then get rid of them. This can be a slow process, but you'll never be able to spot a good deal or the perfect item until you know what you like.



I recently replaced all my mismatched plastic kids cups, bowls, and plates with matching ones with coordinating cups and its made me really happy. I had seen some I liked in Pottery Barn, and how excited was I to find perfectly comparable ones at the controversial (Wal-Mart) lower price!
add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger wendysue said...

I bought the exact same ones at said Wal-mart! Except I bought them as a joke gift for Matt, since he has issues with his food touching on his plate, but the kids LOVE them!! Just like school trays!!

Friday, September 22, 2006 at 1:35:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to tell you, I splurged and purchased the Pottery Barn ones at the store with the matching frosty mugs and silverware. ( I sadly didn't see the ones at Walmart). I LOVE them. They are so helpful at picnics and pot-lucks. Ok, so I spent a little extra, but they are still a GREAT purchase.

Friday, September 22, 2006 at 3:03:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

I love the philosophy. It's not worth having stuff in your house for the sake of having stuff.

Saturday, September 23, 2006 at 7:05:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about mid-century modern lately -- is it here to stay or on its way out? Just read an article on the antiques market (which drives the mass market) and mid-century modern. Collectors are looking for the next big thing, and one tastemaker is suggesting 19th century. He says the late century can look fresh, but nearly everyone else says "bleh!" to 19th century.

The two driving forces that seem to underpin mid-century (20th) modern's staying power are its compatibility with contemporary art and its clean, simple lines.

In an increasingly complex world I think many of us take comfort in a pared-down aesthetic.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 at 11:44:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Lizzy said...

a blog just for me. minimalism and deals are what i'm all about! ao glad to know these plates are at walmart too!

Monday, September 25, 2006 at 1:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger dalene said...

Of course it would never apply to lipstick.

Loved (and muchly needed) this post!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 10:31:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home