Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Fashion Consultant — by Guest Mom Lisa V. Clark

I am fortunate to have my good friend Josh as a fashion consultant and trend prediction expert. Did you know there are people whose job is predicting future fashionable colors for things from washing machines to sweaters? Josh taught me that. Everyone should have a friend like Josh.

When Gabby asked me to guest blog, I knew immediately that I needed to call in my reinforcement. I asked him what Moms, in particular, should look for this season. He told me that layering is really in right now. Now that does mean tights and short denim skirts, something we both agreed wasn't something we could get behind, but he advised to take the layering advice in a more classic way. Try shirts, jackets, and blazers, or shirts, sweaters and jackets. And remember to use thin materials so as to not get too bulky. (Josh is always throwing in practical advice when describing runway trends. He's down to earth like that.)

He also emphasized that last season we saw a lot of embellishment and accessorizing with brooches and necklaces and whatnot. This year is simple, with less jewelry. I'm going to have to think about that.

Here's a jacket built-in under a jacket. The layering done FOR YOU:


This is a fun "pick your kids up at school" navy jacket easy to layer with:


And here's your saucy little jacket for a night out on the town. I see this with some skinny jeans and ballet flats:
add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger kacy faulconer said...

I am intrigued by your mention of "skinny jeans." Could you, perhaps, post more about this unappealing and unflattering trend? I don't see myself ever pulling them off--especially when I see how bad they look on genuinely trim folks.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 2:50:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

Well, funny you should mention that, because I don't own a pair. It's a trend popular with the young folk. The only way I see myself pulling it off is tucked in a boot, with a long shirt/sweater hiding my bum.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 5:55:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a cord. jacket with the hood coming out exactly like that top photo today at Costco. Kinda scary...Anthro/Costco.!! I'm enjoying Lisa's posts.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 1:47:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Girl con Queso said...

Oooh. This makes me want to go shopping!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 1:49:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Liz Stanley said...

the sweatshirt under that jacket is really cute

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 11:30:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home