Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Slippery Slope — by Guest Mom Lisa V. Clark



If you watch Project Runway, and you should (Wednesday nights on Bravo, check your local listings), you would be familiar with a contestant and mother of five, "Laura," who refuses to wear sweatpants or drive a mini-van, because she's not going down "THAT slippery slope. . ." Well, I don't wear cocktail dresses with plunging necklines to go grocery shopping, and I own a mini van, but I can identify with what she's talking about. It's the phenomenon I see all the time where once polished coeds and career women sacrifice their stylish wardrobes at the alter of mommy-hood, and then wonder why they don't feel like the same woman they once were.

Anyone whose had a had a newborn knows what it's like to get knocked off your pedestal of self-identity, but not at least trying to get back up there is admitting defeat. I have 4 different sizes in my closet: pregnancy, post-pregnancy, regular, and skinny. I feel it's important to feel good, like you have "something" that makes you feel good when you wear it, at any size. I also think it's important to have "something" to wear on a date, to a meeting, out with friends, etc, a "without children," sweater, jacket, or dress for fun.

It's amazing what a trendy necklace or new top can do for your self-image. No, it isn't everything, it doesn't define who you are inside, but it can make a little difference. And anyone who is raising a small child knows that you are constantly collecting a lot of "little successes" to make it a good day.

I like these pick me up pieces:

Glass Beads Link Necklace


Mesh-Dot Bangle Bracelet


Laakso Bracelets
add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Really love the mesh dot bracelet.

Also, how did Laura go from looking not-pregnant to 6 months pregnant in 1 week?

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 11:24:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

I KNOW! I thought the very same thing. One day she was wearing the pink dress she designed for herself and the NEXT DAY she has hiked up her shirt so we see her huge belly . . . What? Isn't the show filmed in 30 days?

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 12:05:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'm still wearing my pregnancy and post-pregnancy clothes even though I'm probably at my regular size now because I have nothing else in my closet. WHEN do you find time to go shopping with little ones under foot?

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 1:43:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did it wrong. I'm not anonymous.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 1:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

I do a lot of cheating--I buy a lot of clothes at Target while I'm buying diapers and laundry detergent. I sometimes look online.

I also find a time once a week to run errands without kids so I don't go crazy. I call it "mental wellness day." I trade with my sister-in-law so she can do the same. I don't always go shopping for clothes, but I run errands without kids, do what I want for an hour or 2. I highly recommend it.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 6:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Carina said...

Lisa, I couldn't agree with you more! It's so important to feel like your "old" self, only improved with new sidekicks. I always admire that you look cute and put together--especially when I remember the adorable hordes you have waiting for you at home.

I find that if I have a great pair of shoes or heels on, even the most plain t-shirt and jeans feel a little spicier.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 7:22:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

Azucar, you are nice.

I agree about the shoes. I also feel the same way about lipstick, for some reason.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 11:58:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home