Monday, September 18, 2006

Crate Shelving



I really like this shot from Blueprint. I've been looking for a shelving solution for my girls room and maybe a configuration inspired by this one would do the trick.
(Just imagine it sans cactus, plus toys.)

What I like about this idea:
1 Crates. I've been using wooden crates for storage since I first married. They're wood, they're inexpensive, they're good-looking, what's not to love? But I haven't seen them used this way. Setting them both on and underneath the table makes a real difference in what they can do. I also like the various sizes of crates, and that there is a lid option.


2 Everything is sort-of white washed. For the girls room I wouldn't go white wash, but I could pull it all together with one color.

3 The whole idea is much more flexible than a traditional bookshelf. It can easily be changed to fit new toys or a lamp.

4 The whole thing has a bit of a messy feel. Maybe this would help camoflage the actual messiness of my girls' various belongings.

For crates, try Michaels or Crate Creations.
add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz Stanley said...

gabby where do you buy wooden crates like those?

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 1:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Check the post at the bottom. There's a link to Crate Creations which is the company that Blueprint referenced. I'lve also picked up some at Michaels, but they only have one size and they don't come with lids.

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 2:06:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah Q said...

the box with drawers is from IKEA and they come unpainted, ready for transformation. . .

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 2:36:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My eye caught this in Blueprint, as well. I love it! I have been impressed with Blueprint-- I wasn't quite sure when I flipped through the first issue, but it seems to be getting better and better!

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 9:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

I feel the same Rebecca. Blueprint is growing on me.

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 9:49:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home