Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Gift Giving — by Guest Mom Lisa V. Clark

I gave birth to my daughter two days after Christmas. She was due over a week before, but she was my third, so I knew I'd be at home on Christmas because all my kids are at least a week overdue (feel sorry for me, pity me). That Christmas Season, four years ago, I made a plan to have all my Christmas shopping done by Halloween. That way, I reasoned, I could sit and enjoy Thanksgiving and the Christmas Holiday without walking around in a mad-rush, competing with every other holiday shoppers in a crazed blur of lights, traffic, and crowds.

It was the most peaceful, enjoyable holiday season I had every had, and I've tried to keep up the tradition ever since.
So it's September, and I'm in the middle of planning what kind of Christmas we'll have this year. I have some rules for the gifts I give my kids. They have changed over the years somewhat, but they're pretty standard. I hate things with lots of little pieces, loud toys that require batteries, and ugly things. I also hate anything
Bratz, or age-inappropriate, obnoxious, or trendy. I cringe at about 9 out of 10 things my kids ask for for Christmas, but usually give in on "something" in the name of holiday spirit.

For example, I hate a lot of little pieces, but then came along Polly Pocket and the hours and hours of uninterrupted imaginative playtime she afforded. I hate video games, but then came the free Nintendo 64 my sister-in-law gave us with the affordable kid-appropriate games. I hate anything requiring batteries, but the Darth Vadar mask and metal-clanging sword my brother surprised the boys with, again, provided hours and hours of entertainment.

Aren't kids supposed to get toys their parents wouldn't choose for them because that's part of being a kid, and not an adult?


A couple of gifts I'm thinking about:
Erector Set for the eight year-old. . .

Miles is moving into that difficult age where everything he wants is getting really expensive. For example, he wants his own laptop computer with Power-point Presentation. That, OR a trip to France. Yeah, so we hope he's distracted by all the moving parts and construction possibilities of the Erector set and that will be that.

Art Supplies for the six and a half year-old. . .


When Miles was this age I created an art box for him, and he still uses it. I got a flat, slides-under-your-bed plastic container and filled it with lots of art supplies: new markers, glitter, glue, tracing paper, art paper, stencils, pencils, pastels, pencil sharpener, stickers, etc. Because of my addiction to art supplies, this will be the most fun gift for me to buy.

Pop-up tent for the three year-old. . .

My older boys had one when they were really little, but it didn't quite make it. I'm sure it got lost somewhere in "that move across the pond." I loved it, though, and will probably purchase another one because it's easy for kids to set up themselves, it's easy to hide or store, and what kid doesn't want to play in a tent?

Pound A Ball for the 18 monther. . .


This is another toy that didn't make it through to baby #4. My older boys were crazy about this when they were Hugh's age, so I know it will be a huge success. That, and knowing how much Hugh likes to hit things violently.
add to kirtsy

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to ask! Why does Miles want PowerPoint? Most of us adults spend out time desperately avoiding that program. Is there some secret, super fun thing you can do with PowerPoint?

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 11:57:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Bek said...

Miles is just "that" kid. He wanted a palm pilot when he was 4. Seriously. He also knew all the planets and could tell you which one had moons and which one had rings BEFORE HE WAS TWO!! I thought my kids were developmentally delayed as a result because they weren't all like Miles!! :-)

Polly's made me rethink the "no small parts" toy thing too. But, the rule in our house is that anything left on the floor is thrown away. No second chances. There aren't many shoes left.

I am so glad you are writing more often. I miss my dose of Lisa.... :-)

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 1:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Bek said...

Oh...I also want to second the tent idea. We got Lulu one when she was P's age and it just finally went to tent heaven (it was very ripped up). We replaced it with a REAL tent that she still loves playing in. This is the best present ever!! YOu can get them at costco and Bed Bath and Beyond at the holiday season too...

Great ideas.....

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 1:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

The pound-a-ball is inspired. We have never owned anything like this and I can't imagine why. I think Oscar will go crazy for this! Thanks for the great ideas.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 2:41:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

I remember when Miles was reading the ketchup and mustard bottles on the table when he was what — 3? How awesome that he wants to make power-point presentations. I assume so he can lecture to friends and family?

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 2:42:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yes--Miles wants to give presentations to his friends using powerpoint. . . He thinks it's the coolest thing ever. (I have no idea how to use it, call me "MOM") He also wants to make movies on the computer and animate his comic books "The Milesman Adventures" and "The Superdunces." It's embarrassing how much I don't know about technology, but I am saving up for a new computer, and MIles pretty much guides us on what software/applications we "need."

**so if anyone has any ideas on reasonably priced gifts for Miles, please let me know**

I love the ball pound! Everyone should own one. Hours and hours of entertainment!

Oh--and Costco has a really cool tent/tunnel/teepee for 25 bucks right now. . . just so you know. ..

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 2:59:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

How do you manage the requests from the kids? Are you asking them what they want right now? Or do you buy the gift and somehow convince them it is what they REALLY want for christmas?

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 6:48:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

OH, a little bit of both. I do ask them now, but don't all kids constantly tell you what they want, holiday season or not?

In our house, if we can't afford something, I just tell the kid we can't afford it. I don't know if that's psychologically damaging or not, or if they'll have "issues" about money later, but that's what I do. I tell them they can ask Santa for one thing and their parents for one thing, and not to be greedy because that's not the idea. They always get more than 2 gifts Christmas day, so it's alllll gooood. It's always fun to surprise them with something they didn't know they wanted, too. Makes it all exciting. . . . (so far only happy kids on Christmas, knock on wood)

Thursday, September 21, 2006 at 4:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Carina said...

For Miles, there are reasonably priced books out there that will 'show' him how to draw real comics and characters. It sounds like he's already doing something like that, maybe something to help him take it to the next step?

We also have the pound a ball toy. I have also had to do some serious manuevering to get spoons, cars, and a small stuffed Bert from Sesame Street out of the container. Great toy.

Thanks for the tent idea!

Thursday, September 21, 2006 at 6:10:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding small parts, or any toy that comes in pieces, I know one mom who buys all the plastic boxes or cute containers she'll need before Christmas, so from the start everyone knows how to put it away--for what that's worth.

Saturday, September 23, 2006 at 12:39:00 AM EDT  
Blogger k8theriver said...

this is a little delayed but i overheard my software developer husband talking with a co-worker about "open office." it's like power point but free. openoffice.org

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 2:52:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home