Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Journal Roundup — by Guest Mom Carrie Lundell



It's pretty safe to say blogging has become a new type of journaling. Count me among the people who have tried to ditch the traditional pen to paper, hoping my blog posts will include enough personal history to leave an impact on my posterity. As much as a blog (even printed in book form) helps preserve precious memories, nothing beats the soul of a handwritten, personal journal. But that doesn't mean your handwritten journal needs to be traditional.

Check out these options:


1) Struggle with your personal narrative? Record your life in lists.

2) Are you a bibliophile? Sure, you can share what you've read on GoodReads, but keep a handwritten list too.


3) Do you have vivid dreams? Record them in a dream journal along with interpretations.

4) Don't forget to include the kids! We lament how they "grow up too fast" and struggle to perfectly capture their childhood personality. A child's handwritten journal will not only become a priceless keepsake, but the act of journaling develops a child's verbal and writing skills, releases fear, frustration and anxiety as well as promotes self-awareness and increased self-esteem. Starting them young can also help create a habit of journaling that can last well into their adult years. I created the "This is Me" kid's journal as an easy way for parents to help their children record memories through writing and drawings from as young as 3 years old.

5) With this great, little kids travel journal, your family vacation can be recorded from a whole new perspective.

6) Useful Books upcycled cereal box journals are as unique as your tween — even making pre-teenage "angst" look cute.


Pick a book, grab a pen and join me in some old school journaling. Your kids will thank you for it.

Find more of Carrie at This Momma Makes Stuff.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger Alisa: a pina colada said...

Great ideas! I used to do so well at journal writing and documenting things about my children...now, I'm not doing so well. Thanks for the great ideas. I needed to be inspired to jump back into keeping better records.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 3:52:00 PM EDT  
Blogger danyelly said...

Besides a blog post here and there my record keeping is just about non-existant. Someday I will open up my scrapbooking supply cabinet with renewed inspiration and motivation, but for now, a simple journal for my 3 yr old for our daily ups and downs sounds perfect. Thanks for the reminder.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 5:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sara said...

I love the This is Me journal - it has been a great "first" journaling experience for both of my kids. And something that feels very accessible for them, which is the whole point of that particular journal.

Ever since I moved out of the baby book phase, I haven't been great about recording the events of their lives...but then I started a blog late in 2007 and that all changed. My blog is their record, and mine. Between the journal and my blog, we are getting it recorded...

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 7:49:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Cindy Leaders said...

There is something very special about actually putting pen to paper and recording your thoughts. My mom has passed away but I cherish the journals she kept for 50 years!

Thanks for including my little cereal box journal in your collection.

Thursday, October 8, 2009 at 7:48:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Petit Elefant said...

Carie, I love all your tips! It's really hard as a busy mom to carve time out to journal- I used to write in my journal every night. And then I had children...

Thursday, October 8, 2009 at 12:30:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Lisa said...

I will definitely make my own journal for my 6 year old next time. His handwriting has gotten 100% better AND he has such a vivid imagination now. He writes his dreams down. It's just cool plus it helps him learn to put sentences together and use punctuation. It's great, especially when he shares it with me. He knows it's for his eyes only and he can share if he wants. Luckily he's still in the sharing age.

Great ideas!

Monday, October 12, 2009 at 12:25:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home