Monday, April 20, 2009

Simple Weddings — by Guest Mom Beth Longtine



We spend a lot of time in our house looking at wedding blogs, and we definitely have our favorites. Yes, maybe it has something to do with my being a wedding coordinator, but honestly I think it’s because I have four daughters. We all love to dream about weddings, and look at the lovely photos.


But if you are anything like us, we often come away feeling like the “perfect” wedding comes at a pretty high price (so how much does it cost to rent 20 chandeliers to hang from the trees?). As a wedding coordinator I have found high-end weddings to be the rarity, most people simply can’t afford more than the basics. And during tough economic times, how much do we really want to spend anyway? Can’t we have an inexpensive and lovely wedding? I think so.


The first step is establishing what is important to you on that day. What are the essentials? A small group of loved ones? A large group of family and friends? A great party? A religious emphasis? Going in with a plan can help you navigate the process more peacefully as you will be able to ignore whole categories of things the bridal magazines insist are essentials. My son and daughter-in-law recently got married and our focus was simple: build a marriage, tell a story, and spend as little money as possible. Oh yeah…and the food had to be great.


Stay tuned this week as I share a few thoughts on how to put together a simple, but beautiful wedding — and know that the same techniques and ideas could be applied to any event.

Note from Design Mom:
in the mood for more wedding stuff? Check out Wide Open Spaces. She spent all of last week reporting the details of her incredibly lovely wedding. Also, I found the gorgeous balloon garland photo on Wide Open Spaces via Oh Joy via Tiara Mia.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger jes [a mountain bride] said...

yay! you have a loyal reader who's in the midst of planning a wedding herself!

http://amountainbride.blogspot.com

so excited to what you ladies have in store to inspire and inform me :-)

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 3:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kara said...

HURRAY! I am going to school to be a wedding event planner! I am so excited for this week!

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 3:49:00 PM EDT  
Blogger R-Eight said...

Oooo! I can't wait!

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 8:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

My daughter had a "simple wedding" last August and we made our own cupcakes for the reception! I am SO glad we did. Here is a post about our experience if you want to read about it!

http://theinspiredroom.net/2008/08/22/sweet-escape-wedding-cupcakes-behind-the-scenes/

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 10:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger vanraj said...

only one word and that is you are just awesome.

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 11:45:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Amanda said...

Beautiful! Looking forward to it!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 8:30:00 AM EDT  
Blogger momof3girls said...

love the pics of the balloon garland! I have 3 daughters that I will eventually have to pay for their weddings- what great advice!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 10:31:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Mixing Bowl Mama said...

I had a small, simple wedding years ago and I love it. My sister is getting married this coming summer and expecting 400+ guests....I can already see the many differences between the two and look forward to reading more about your insights this week.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 10:35:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Lilah Paper said...

Hi Beth!
I as a fellow vendor in the wedding industry, I am looking foward to your posts. I always look forward to great budget-saving advice to pass along to my brides!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 2:03:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks for the support ladies!

Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 2:16:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home