Monday, January 26, 2009

Pinhole Camera Photos



This is interesting. Ever heard of a pinhole camera? Me too. Like maybe in 3rd or 4th grade. My fuzzy memory says we built and used them in a school project. My memory could totally be making that up. Anyway. Sheila Bocchine has built her photography business using only her pinhole camera. She travels the country doing pinhole weddings and portraits.


Says Sheila:
"The pinhole camera is a type of Camera Obscura, the first camera invented in the 1850's. Before it was used as a camera with film, it was a tool to help artists learn to paint and draw with more detail, a tool devised to help tell time and a tool used by scientists for observing a solar eclipse.

My pinhole camera is lensless, uses medium format (120) film, is made from teak wood and produces square images. The exposures are longer to compensate for the pinhole, which is why you will see subtle blur and motion in all of my images. Since the world rarely stands still, my pinhole camera captures all the beautiful motion and energy onto the negative, thus resulting with dreamscape-like qualities. I feel like each pinhole photograph is a marvelous dream… a surreal and whimsical moment in time that has swirled around my daydreams before coming out as the perfect pinhole photograph."


I love finding out about things like this.

add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing work.
This post reminded me of a fellow photo major in college who turned his VW van into a huge pinhole camera.
Beautiful images!

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 4:26:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for featuring my work on your website!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 12:58:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home