Monday, September 29, 2008

The NY Botanical Gardens



Our best Saturdays are half work, half play. The morning was spent doing laundry, grocery shopping and cleaning our bedrooms. The afternoon was spent at the NY Botanical Gardens. And as luck would have it, the Gardens were celebrating Harvest Days during our visit (happy surprise!). The kids made apple sauce. Put together field notebooks. Made apple prints with stamp pads. Decorated gourds. Put together corn husk dolls. Pressed apples and sampled the cider. And the whole family worked together to make a scarecrow for the Family Garden.




And then, just for me, we paid a visit to the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden — the roses bloom in June and September — and they were spectacular. I was especially drawn to the peachy orange ones.

When we were tired, we rode the shuttle around the grounds and argued over which Moore sculpture we liked best.

add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

What a beautiful picture of the flowers!

Monday, September 29, 2008 at 11:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger chiara said...

Sounds like a perfect day.

Monday, September 29, 2008 at 11:48:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Ruth said...

Hello there. You don't know me but I am a daily reader here. I only comment on the give aways! My brother in law is in Russia. I told him when I read your post about your parents and he told me today that he just met them and they were so happy! What a small world. I thought you would be interested to hear.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 1:10:00 AM EDT  
Blogger R-Eight said...

I love days like that.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 6:50:00 AM EDT  
Blogger bettytor said...

Wow, we were at the Family garden on Sunday for a birthday party. It was great, I noticed pumkin decorated was that you...lol It was a wonderful experience especially for my 3 yr old. I'm recommending it to all of my friends. Even with the rain it was a wonderful day.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 8:25:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Mimi said...

I look Great holding Betty!!!!!!!!! I am bloging again so comment!!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 9:46:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Buby + Bleu said...

Such lovely shots! The NY Botanical is one of my favorite places.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 10:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Eden said...

This is my exact philosophy about the best Saturdays. And what a treat for the kids to get to go to the gardens! Never to early to fall in love with this kind of beauty.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 4:41:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home