Friday, May 23, 2008

Method Party

Best Thursday Night Ever. Can't wait to report. The event: I hosted a fantastic party at the Method pop-up shop in Soho. I can freely say it was fantastic, because I was responsible for nothing more than the guest list. And I should mention, the guests were the best part — a smart, hilarious and creative group of women from my neighborhood.



The highlight of the evening was refurbishing second-hand-store dishes into works of art. Our crafting leader for this project was the famous Danny Seo. Who kept us entertained and informed and happy. He is lovely. And clever. And patient. Danny has an empire of books and dvd's and magazine columns and tv appearances and I'm embarrassed that I didn't know more about him until last night. But he is some kind of creative genius and I have serious plans to stalk his blog forevermore. The most important thing you should know about Danny: he was named one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world by People magazine. Because he's a total hottie.

The basic instructions: we used sheets of computer sticker paper to draw a silhouette. In my case, an elephant, but there were all sorts of great ideas. Fish rounding the edges of the plate. A well-drawn initial. A beautiful moose. Then we adhered the sticker to the plate and covered the plate with some kind of made-for-ceramics paint. When it was dry, we peeled off the sticker and voila! there was our silhouette on our happy refurbished dinnerware. We were told to bake them for 20 minutes at 350º to make the paint permanent.

What a great project! I think this would be fun to do with my kids — I'm having visions of a cute set of dessert plates for the holidays.



The food was yummy. The company was yummier. And to make things even better, while the paint on our plates was drying, we discovered the Method photo booth. Designed to showcase cleaning confessions — our dirty little secrets.

There were lots of photo booth photos that had been left behind by past party goers. The one that made me laugh the most said: I like bacon more than friends. And I don't mop my floors. I had 3 thoughts when seeing that photo: 1) Totally. 2) I think I would be bff's with the subject of that photo. 3) She should totally check out kirtsy. It's like a bacon showcase over there.



After we photo-boothed to our hearts content, it was time to send us home with generous swag bags: reversible, reusable grocery totes filled with Method cleaning products and a super cool tee that says "Cleans Like A Mother." Fun, right? And then we headed out into the beautiful New York night without so much as emptying a garbage can. Can you beat that? Being the hostess of a great party with no responsibilities but showing up. Lovely.

Why a Method party? Because Method is super smart. They know the best way to showcase their products is to get them in the hands of real women. Which they did. And we can't wait to try out our goodies. I've been a Method Handsoap fan for ages, and I'm totally ready to branch out now and see how I like their other products.

The only regret: the shop is small and I could only invite so many people. But you know how I hate anything exclusive. Exclusive is sooo anti-social-media. So to help you take part in all the fun, how about I host a great big Method Giveaway? Watch for the forthcoming post. . .

Labels:

add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger ~Kat~ said...

Hey! I attended a private Method Maven party in Boston on Newbury St. (read my blog post about it here: http://thereluctantmermaid.blogspot.com/2008/04/post-in-which-i-sound-more-important.html )
My boss, Sheri of Magic Beans ( mbeans.com was our hostess and we had a BLAST!

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 1:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Annie said...

I have been a HUGE method fan for so long. Their products are amazing. I especially love the mint glass cleaner...so fresh and clean smelling. I am glad to see that you are calling attention to these wonderful products. Method has got it right! Great products, great price, great for the environment! What could be better? (And NO I don't work for Method...just a huge fan)

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 1:49:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the sticker-resist on the plate idea!

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 3:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kelly said...

you look great in your dress!! I bought the black one, you make me want to go back for the green!!

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 4:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Cathi said...

I love your life!!
I love my life too but Gabrielle, it's so much fun to live vicariously through your blog.

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 5:12:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't method and Danny Seo the best? They threw me a (pre)birthday party at the shop earlier this week and it was so great too!

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 6:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger happyathome said...

Decorating the dinner plates is a great idea and a good project for kids. I plan on saving that idea for a rainy day. As for Method, love the product!
http://lifeislikechampagne.blogspot.com/

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Angela said...

I am SOOOOO sad I had to miss it! I planned on it, had this darling newborn not shown up almost 4 weeks early I would have been there. Sounded like a great night! I love Method products.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 3:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger ames said...

Too much coolness! I've been following Danny's blog for a while, and it always brings an extra smile to my face when my bloggie interests come together in this sort of cosmic alignmenty way. Sounds like it was a great time, I'm very jealous.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 10:35:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Klaudette said...

Can you post the brand of paint you used to make the adorable plate? I have a stack of plates that I would like to do this to.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 2:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Good question, Klaudette. I'll find out what it is and post it.

I've got an upcoming post with more details about the plates planned.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 3:52:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of the most hillarious Tshirts I have ever seen. Sure brought a grin to my face!

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 4:16:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home