Thursday, May 22, 2008

Back to Business



I'm back from another great trip to Houston. Fun fact: did you know Houston has just bypassed Chicago as the third largest city in America (following NYC and LA, of course)? And did you also know that it is really hard not to eat really well in Houston? Excellent restaurants are plentiful and you would have to go out of your way to find a poor meal.

One of the trip highlights was an inspiring evening spent with the kirtsy girls, Jenny, Brené, Ellen, Lucy and Katherine. What a group! Encouragement and enlightenment all around. No one wanted the evening to end. Plus Jenny was wearing a gorgeous gerbera daisy in her cleavage, so that made for a happy place for me to rest my eyes.

Another highlight: Laura arranged for Laurie and I to stay at The Modern. A bed and breakfast housed in a fantastically cool building. It's lovely. And hip. And chic. So chic that Dwell Magazine named it one of 16 Hip Hotels in America. You should totally stay there. And eat their super yummy organic breakfast — which included the most delicious scones I've ever tasted.


http://cookiemag.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/22/tents1.png

And while we're talking about cool places where you can stay, I'll mention that I've got a comprehensive post on playtents up at Cookie's Nesting blog today. Check it.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger amy turn sharp said...

I would so love to stay there! Am also loving yr new Cookie gig. You are perfect for the magazine! I hope they give you a column soon xoxoxox

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 1:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Joslyn said...

funny! i posted the play tent round up to kirtsy today because it was so brilliant...should've known it was yours!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 4:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I miss you already.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 6:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lindsey said...

No, I did not know that about #3 largest city (and I live here!) Wow, interesting! Yes, I DID know that about the food. ;)

I'd love to hear, where all did you eat? I'm obsessed with taking out-of-town family and friends to *authentic,* local places rather than chains but sometimes it's so hard to draw up good ideas (though so many places abound).

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 11:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger heather said...

I'm so glad you like Houston...my hometown!! It's such an underrated city! I think most people are surprised at how big it is and how top-notch it is at everything!

Especially the food! When my husband and I visit my family there we come with a to do list that is more of a to eat list!

May I make a couple of recommendations for your next trip?

Beck's Prime: the best hamburgers and milkshakes you will ever have! Make sure you try the milkshakes!

Chuey's: our favorite Mexican.

And if your pocket book is especially thick go to the Taste of Texas! Amazing steak house! I love it when there is a long wait because they place you in a waiting room with free soft drinks, popcorn and chips and salsa...that 2 hours goes by in 10 minutes. And then you're given the opportunity to choose your own cut of meat before it's cooked and the best salad, cheese, bread buffet you'll ever have!!

Man...I need to plan another trip home!

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 2:14:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay -- I have family in Houston and was just there in February. We liked our downtown hotel but this looks way cooler, plus I love the location near museums and good restaurants. Thanks!

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 12:53:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home