Monday, September 11, 2006

Story Corps




I was listening to September 11th memorials on NPR today, and one of the guests was the founder or creator or somehow connected to Story Corps. I have seen their booths downtown and in Grand Central and I know they have a traveling booth as well (pictured above).

I love this whole idea. No materials to prepare. No batteries to find for your tape recorder. Just bring Grandma, sit in the booth and speak a memory or two. What a cool thing. I'd like to go record my memories of each of my children's births — or my first impressions of them.

In addition to general-stories-from-anyone, Story Corps is also trying to collect at least one story for each victim of 9/11. I heard two. Both were beautiful and had me weaping buckets.
add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger Girl con Queso said...

Wow! Very very cool!

Monday, September 11, 2006 at 1:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger michelle said...

I saw it in grand central station a few years ago. It's such a beautiful booth - it literally glows, which I love. I'm so glad you posted about this - I had forgotten about it.

Monday, September 11, 2006 at 2:24:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alan and his dad went into grand central and did that last year when he was here visiting. it's really cool.

Monday, September 11, 2006 at 3:57:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I contacted Story Corp. about sending a machine out to Utah. You can actually keep a recorder for a week (or so) for about $100. I thought it would be a great project for Heritage Week here in So. Utah or for the kids at the local elementary school.
Very cool.

Monday, September 11, 2006 at 10:38:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you hear story corp segment where the guy talked about his grandfather passing away and then proposed to his girlfriend?! Oh! Story corp pieces on NPR always make me cry!
- Emily

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 at 6:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Carina said...

Oh those 9/11 Story Corps made me WEEP.

I hope they do send a machine to Utah some day, I really want to get my grandma into a booth, but she can't travel far.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 at 6:23:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home