Monday, September 11, 2006

Don't Microwave Melamine




Earlier I posted about searching for microwaveable plastic dishes and I just received an interesting response in the comments of that post by Brooklyn-based Jill F, the maker of the BonGenre melamine dishes pictured above.


The gist of the comment: don't microwave any plastics unless you want to die of toxic fumes.

While I'm disappointed that my plastic dish search will not be fruitful, I also found the comment kind-of freeing because now I can admire all the pretty melamine out there with no expectations of microwaveability.
And in my life, it's all about managing expectations.
add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

i live 5000 miles away from my mom and she likes to call to remind me not to us plastic wrap in the microwave! (i use an overturned plate instead, small one over a bowl and big one for a plate.)

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 at 9:53:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why not, I do it almost every day without problems

Monday, April 14, 2008 at 10:58:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plastics heated in the microwave release xenoestrogens(these are bad guys), which you ingest through the food on that microwaved plate. The xenoestrogrens then attach to your body's hormone receptors, effectively blocking them from using the natural hormones our bodies produce. It will cause you problems eventually!

Thursday, July 31, 2008 at 11:39:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But, how eventually? I want to buy my mother a nice set of melamine for her birthday. She eats on her patio a lot and currently is carrying dishes that break into sharp smithereens. She is almost 80 years old and I know that even if I tell her not to use it in the microwave, she is likely to eventually stick a plate with a hot dog in there or whatever. I don't think it's a serious issue. Am I wrong?

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 11:03:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home