Thursday, September 07, 2006

Toddler Entertainment



So school starts and I suddenly find myself alone with 2 babies and I'm having such a time trying to remember how to do this.


For example, I'm attempting to clean the kitchen this morning and Oscar (1 1/2) will have none of it — full tantrum on the dirty kitchen floor. I realize he's my 4th kid and I should be a pro, but I'm having to rack my brain for ideas on how to entertain a toddler. Last week, I would have had Ralph, or Maude, or Olive just take him out to the swing, but my helpers are now unavailable until 3:15.
Then I remembered: pouring things. I set him up in front of the sink with a small stream of running water and two cups. Voilá. Happy boy. Clean (albeit wet) kitchen.

Is it just me, or do you immediately forget how to parent a one year old as soon as your child turns two? I have to relearn this stuff every time.
add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

So true! I am back there with you...I will have to try the running water idea!

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 1:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa said...

I've had the same problem, but it's my 3 year old who is difficult to entertain, not the 18 month. . .

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 3:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

I totally forget. I thought having just one at home was going to be a piece of cake, but now he wants ME to entertain him. We play lots and lots of basketball.

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 5:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Puzzles are really great too. We do a lot of puzzles.

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 9:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gwen said...

Yeah, i have a 3 yr old and an 11 month old and i feel like i'm a different mom learning all over again every day! The little buggers just keep changing!

Friday, September 8, 2006 at 12:40:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home