Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pregnancy Dream from Calli Taylor



When I was barely pregnant with my twin daughters, my mother in law, phoned my husband early in the morning. She had just had a dream that she needed to tell us about.


In her dream, she was in a hen house. She was standing over an egg, and although she knows you are not supposed to help a chick break out of it’s shell, she felt she compelled to help this one. She peeled away the shell. When she was done, she was horrified… there was not one, but two chicks in the shell. But the birds weren’t ready to be hatched… they looked limp, gray and lifeless. And she was filled with shock and remorse. She turned away. But after a moment, she heard a chirping sound and looked back at the shell. Inside were two yellow, healthy, darling, little chicks.

After she finished telling my husband about the dream she said, “I think it means you are going to have twins.” He had a good chuckle and hung up the phone. He told me the story of the dream and I ran to the bathroom to throw up. When I was done, I came back and told my husband “Oh no, I am not having twins… I am not the twin mom type… I don’t even like any two names that rhyme and I hate matching outfits!”


As time unfolded her dream became incredibly prescient, because I was indeed having twins. And they came early… way too early. They weighed 1 lb. 10 oz. and 1 lb. 3 oz. at birth and they looked limp and gray and lifeless. They actually looked like unfeathered baby birds with thin translucent skin and incredibly tiny limbs.


Thankfully, Kit’s dream continued to be right. My little chicks eventually fattened up, turned pink and healthy… and although I didn’t name them matching names and rarely buy matching outfits (though I love to sometimes…) I especially love having my twins.


Gabrielle, I wish you all the best with your pregnancy! I won't wish twins on you... but they are pretty wonderful.


From Calli of
Make it Do.

--------------

Note: for the duration of my pregnancy, I'll be posting stories about pregnancy, childbirth and growing a family on Wednesdays. You can find them all by clicking here.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Okay. That one REALLY got to me! That is written down elsewhere for your girls is it not?

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 3:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Adrienne said...

cute story! when i was pregnant with my first child, i had a dream that i had a litter of puppies! LOL!

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 8:22:00 PM EDT  
Blogger amy smart said...

Yay Calli! I love this story. I so vividly remember taking classes from your mom at the time you had your twins. My sister-in-law had just had a baby at 27 weeks and I remember feeling for you and all that the next weeks and months would entail. I feel so lucky to "know" you now and to see your girls so healthy and cute.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 11:12:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea that it was your mother-in-law who had the dream. I'm a mother-in-law who recently dreamed that a little boy, who looked like my sons, was sad because he was "left behind." : )

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 11:20:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

i enjoy all the pregnancy and family stories! this one was especially poignant. i'd love to know your mother-in-law Calli. Wow.

Gabby, i'd be happy to do a post for you on becoming a mommy via adoption. I've done it three times from two countries and I help other people make their adoption dreams come true too (i do their home studies). Let me know; I'd love to share my "paperwork pregnancy" stories! I'm preparing my first child's 8th grade graduation yearbook page right now. I can't believe how the time has flown by.....what a cliche, i must have heard hundreds of mothers and daddies say that over the years but now it's my turn to scroll through the years in photos and wonder where DID that time GO? (and was that really ME in that hairstyle...yikes, so many hair colors, and did I really gain and lose and gain and lose those same pounds year after year??)

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 8:50:00 AM EDT  
Blogger adoration said...

I remember wanting twins and being disappointed when the doctor said he only heard one heart beat! They said I was measuring large and did an ultrasound to check my date. I said, Lord, if you want it could still be twins, and the ultrasound tech looked for a long time and finally told us we were having twins! After they were born, I wondered what I was thinking, but there was grace for that whole time. Now, they have just turned 13! They were born at 36 weeks after 8 weeks of bed rest, 6 of that in the hospital for me. They were so small then, I couldn't imagine how tiny your girls were!

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 11:06:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is the most amazing dream and even more of an amazing story!!! unbelievable. it's crazy the way that God gives us these random dreams sometimes. i know that some people read into dreams too far, but i think that sometimes they really do mean something (obviously...).
thanks for sharing!
:)

Friday, October 16, 2009 at 11:46:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Laura and Kelly Allen said...

I just want to thank you so much for doing this series. I have a three month old and I felt like I could relate to the feelings in each of these stories, including the adoptions and twins. Thank you, thank you.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 7:26:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home