Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pregnancy Thoughts by Laura B


Carrying Andrew, my biggest baby, at 9 pounds.

Pregnancy is amazing. Truly amazing.

I’m amazed that my belly can stretch this much. And then (almost) shrink back down.

I'm amazed that I've gone through three pregnancies. That I have three beautiful children, grown in my own womb. I'm amazed that it's been over two years since I was pregnant. Time flies. And yet, when I talk to friends who are expecting, I can recall with clarity the feelings I had when I was pregnant with each of my three children. I really love being pregnant.


I love the first flutters of movement I feel when my baby starts to make his/her presence known.


I love the rolls across my belly when my baby gets bigger and stronger.

I love noticing little hands and feet punching and kicking as my baby stretches.

It’s amazing how much I endure in order to give life to a new baby: nausea, exhaustion, stretch marks, sciatic nerve pain, varicose veins, carpal tunnel, broken tailbone, peeing all the time, not sleeping well, heartburn, etc. And a new ailment or two comes along with each subsequent pregnancy.


It’s amazing that most of that can be “forgotten” so that I’m willing to do it again.

Then there’s labor and delivery. Amazing pain. Truly amazing, unbelievable pain.


But the miracle of birth follows the pain and makes it all okay. (Not forgotten, but okay.)


Me and my first baby, Connor, bonding in the hospital.

I love the first glimpse of my baby, so fresh and new and perfect. So full of trust and potential.

I love the first snuggle as my baby is laid upon my waiting breast.

I love the two days in the hospital, just me and my baby, getting acquainted. I guess it’s not really getting acquainted since we already knew each other pretty well after nine months of constant companionship. Still, I cherish those two days to love my baby, to sleep holding my baby, to teach my baby to nurse, and to just be a new mother again.

Alan, Connor, and Andrew.

The most amazing part of bringing a baby into this world is the amount of love that I can feel for another person.


The love between my husband and me as we celebrate the new life we created, with our Heavenly Father's help.


The way the love in our family multiplies, not divides, as another person joins our team.


And the amazing amount of love I feel for a little person so new to this earth-life. I know we knew each other before we came here and that our spirits were destined to help each other through our earthly journeys.


Amazing. Quite amazing.

From Laura of My Dream Job.

--------------

Note: for the duration of my pregnancy, I'll be posting stories about pregnancy, childbirth and growing a family on Wednesdays. You can find them all by clicking here.

Labels:

add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

That amazing mother is my own dear daughter and I'm so proud of her. What a wonderful essay!

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 4:20:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

what a beautiful post!
thanks for sharing this today

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 4:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Adrienne said...

beautiful! she communicates so well the very same thoughts i have.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 8:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger jenny said...

So beautifully said! Thanks for sharing that.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 9:31:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home