Monday, July 06, 2009

Ask Design Mom: Photo Storage



Ask Design Mom Question:

Dear Design Mom. I can see you take many, many photos. I'm wondering how you store them? I am pretty new to digital photography, but I'm already filling up my computer storage. Any favorite solutions? — Diane.


Design Mom Answer:
Great question, Diane. I'm right there with you. Ever since Ben Blair gave me the new camera last Christmas, my hard drive has overflowing with the ginormous photos it takes. (I'm not complaining. It's a rad camera and it takes rad pictures.) To keep my computer from getting too sluggish, I've started using external storage for all my photos. The best system I've tried so far is the
FreeAgent Go by Seagate.

Seagate offers lots of products — the one I use is made especially for Macs, but they have even more solutions for PC users. I like it because it looks good and because it's super easy to use. No software to download or install. Just plug it in and go. I've never had to transport mine, but it comes with a handy little carrying case, and it will hold 320 GB. I wonder how long it will take me to fill it up? : )

What about you? Any favorite photo storage solutions?

Labels:

add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Anonymous heather{dot}com said...

I use a Drobo that has 6 TB worth of hard drives in it. I had to go big after filling up two 1 TB hard drives in under a year. (But I am a professional photographer and I shoot in raw).

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 4:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger AlliSMiles said...

The Western Digital Passports are nice, too. You can even purchase them at Costco!

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 4:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

I have a portable hard drive that I put all my blogging related photos on.

Follow up question:

Dear Design Mom,

What kind of rad camera did you get? I am looking forward to purchasing a DSLR someday, hopefully soon. Do you have any suggestions?

xoxo
Katie

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 6:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger heather marie said...

I'm a photographer and have way way way too many photos, so I store mine on an SD Passport. Which is a portable, external hard drive. You can get them with a capacity up to a terrabyte! You can also purchase protective cases for them. It's a pretty popular brand. You can get one just about anywhere!

HeatherMarie

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 6:19:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use backblaze.com, which does backups via the internet. It's awesome! and, i don't have to lift a finger. I felt like a load was lifted off my chest the moment i signed up!

Monday, July 6, 2009 at 10:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie L. said...

I LOVE my Seagate EHD...just like yours, but mine is for PC. It is a 500 GB...they are so affordable now, and I keep my little dock at work and carry it in my purse, so I can do work (digi scrappin' & photo stuff for blog!) at home, too!

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 11:00:00 AM EDT  
Blogger amanda said...

As an alternative to external hard drives, I use flickr. For around $24 bucks a year (for a "pro" unlimited account), you can store all your photos and videos on there, organize them, etc. It doesn't compress the files when you upload or anything. You can share your photos with family or friends or just keep them to yourself. I have around 3,000 photos on my account so far, but only a few are public.

I love it because if you need a photo you can just go on your account, download whatever size you need, including original, and work with it. Also, if your hard drive or external hard drive crashes, no stress. All your pics are saved on flickr.

Uh... I swear I don't work for them. I'm just happy with the service. flickr.com

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 4:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Ashley Thalman said...

I love good ole 500GB My Books from Costco. They are GREAT!

Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 12:41:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

And what about this:ALBUM

Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 2:47:00 AM EDT  
Blogger sybil said...

yeah, what kind of camera is it that you love so much? i am having a tough time embracing digital photography after many years of shooting large format film and polaroid...

Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 9:49:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Duck Duck Moose Design said...

First of all, love this blog!

Have you tried SugarSync?(www.sugarsync.com) You install it on your Mac/Pc or both and it automatically backs up your photos and makes them accessible online and syncs it all.

I am a freak about my photos so I back them up on my freeagent and sugarsync.

Nicci
http://blog.duckduckmoosedesign.com/

Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 10:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Anna said...

From what I've read external hard drives can fail--so you may want to back up the whole hard drive online every once in a while.

Friday, July 31, 2009 at 12:56:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home