Thursday, June 18, 2009

Design Your Life



I don't know where sisters Julia and Ellen Lupton live, but I wish they were my neighbors and that we had a standing lunch date on Fridays.


I think you should go buy their book, Design Your Life, right away. It is a fascinating work. Filled with all sorts of information you didn't realize you wanted to know. Like how to make odd stuffed animals and a basic tutorial on fonts and why you should probably be irritated by suitcases with wheels.

It does not need to be read from front to back — you can flip to pretty much any page and find something engaging — which makes it the perfect book to have near your sofa or nightstand or wherever you might want something interesting to distract you for a few minutes.


The writing is smart and the illustrations (all done by Ellen) will make you smile. $16 at Amazon — I promise you will not have buyer's remorse. I bought 3 copies as gifts last week.




add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Anonymous Kelly King Anderson said...

Thx for sharing this beautiful book, can't wait to get a copy, would be a lovely gift too. I don't know if you ever had a chance to look through The Style Statement book, but that book is so awesome for understanding one's authentic design personality/style.

Hope you're enjoying Summer, Gabrielle! if you're heading to Utah be sure to let us know we'd love to get a group together for a fun evening!

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 3:14:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Rebecca said...

always looking for great gift ideas!

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 3:27:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like a fun and lovely book.

(But I just can't resist saying that, as someone who's taken three young kids and traveled around Western Europe with them, it's hard for me to imagine anything that would make me feel anything other than grateful for suitcases with wheels.)

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 3:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger amy smart said...

I am loving this book! :)

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 4:14:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Erin @ Sprouted In the Kitchen said...

Cool! I love a book that's part reference, entertainment, eye candy, and education. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 4:47:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Lisa Long said...

Thanks for sharing! I have Ellen Lupton's book called "Design it Yourself" and I love it! She is so entertaining, funny and creative!

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 5:57:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about her sister, but I believe Ellen Lupton lives in Baltimore. Actually her home has been featured in a DesignSponge sneak peek, and it's definitely worth a look. She has a lovely space:

http://www.designspongeonline.com/2008/01/sneak-peek-ellen-lupton-and-abbott-miller.html

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 7:25:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Amy said...

Yep, loving it already; great find!

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 8:14:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen lives in orange county somewhere. She teaches at UCI. Today I heard them both speak about this new book. They were terrific. Here is a link for other UCI design related events. enjoy...
http://faculty.humanities.uci.edu/designalliance/index.php?id=73

Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 11:19:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lupton said...

We're glad people are enjoying the book!! on the geography question: Julia lives in Irvine and Ellen is in Baltimore. We commute by email.

Friday, June 19, 2009 at 9:34:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Gandhali said...

wow it looks like an amazing read .. ooo they left a comment as well!

Friday, June 19, 2009 at 7:59:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I might just need to check this out....looks fascinating!

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 1:41:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home