Thursday, May 28, 2009

Trash to Treasure DIY — by Guest Mom Lara Fishman



I don't know about you, but for me, Spring brings out the urge to turn the house upside down for a yearly purge. As I'm hauling things out to the curb I have to remind myself: don't be too quick to throw away the stuff you find in your garage — remember to keep your eye out for hidden treasure.

Some of my favorite trash-to-treasure projects so far (pictured above — click to enlarge the pic):

-I turned an old bank door handle that I bought years ago from an online auction into a new towel rack for our guest bathroom. A new coat of nickel plating and presto, it’s good as new.

-I found a group of old lamps from the seventies in storage and were able to revive them as Mediterranean-esque sconces for a client’s bathroom.

-I took vintage Moroccan lanterns and replated them with nickel. One made the perfect hanging fixture for a regal bathroom for a client. The other two were hung in my own kitchen.


-I also love to mix modern and vintage so when I found some amazing old claw foot bathtub pedestal feet, I refurbished them and used them in my master bath. They go really well with the clean lines of the modern cabinetry.


-It’s also relatively simple to take a tired old chandelier and give it new life with a few simple touches.


-And you can easily re-invent something by simply changing its function. I found a vintage Lucite umbrella stand ages ago but have recently started using it in our bathroom as a toilet paper holder.

Are you a trash-to-treasure kind of girl? Any success stories?

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Lara~ Could you share {or send me} a larger picture of the bathroom that you repurposed the Moroccan light in? Also, can you share the source info for the sink/cabinets? That is EXACTLY what I want in our hall bath!!! I had been picturing it, but didn't realize it existed. Thanks!

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 3:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Hawke said...

I have two chandeliers I want to fix up. The metal frame is gold and I would like to change the color. I have heard you need heat resistant paint. I would be very grateful if you would send me tips, paint sources, pictures, directions, or anything you think might be helpful for my project. Thank you!! I am excited for your help in turning my chandeliers into something gorgeous!

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 4:59:00 PM EDT  
Blogger lara said...

kate-what is your email and I can send you a better pic; we designed the cabinet and picked sink, etc...we can help online - we have clients all over the nation that purchase our design online services...email me directly at lara@storminteriors.com - thanks o much!

lara

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger lara said...

and kate - coming to b'ham tomorrow - I am from there!

L.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger lara said...

kate-

needs to be steel, iron or metal - not pot metal - go to a plating co. and find out if it can be plated and select any metal finish you like - nickel, chrome, bronze, polished or matte - you name it...lara

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:58:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home