Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Be Kind to Mom Space — by Guest Mom Lara Fishman



Hi Ladies! Happy to be blogging here this week. My first post is all about mom space.

Ideally, all moms would have a “Be Kind to Mom” Space at home — a separate room where husbands and kids aren't allowed. Obviously, not everyone has such a sanctuary, but here are a few tips on how to carve out some Mom space in any home.


Start by locating a spot in the house where you can get a bit of privacy.
For some this might be the bathroom. If that’s the case, invest in some scented candles and Lucite necklace stands. Set aside some space on the counter where you can display all the things that make you feel lovely. Make the time to take a hot bath. One of my favorite tricks: bring in some orchids and steam them in the shower with you. A few small touches and any bathroom can feel like a spa getaway.



If you're lucky enough to have a dressing room, take full advantage of it. I've filled mine with happy things — framed artwork that reminds me of my years in Paris as a student, and drawings by my kids. I love how the cowhide rug feels on my bare feet.

For some moms, your space might be a little reading corner in the living room that you can make cozy and welcoming. Invest in the perfect chair, then pair it with a little vintage table where you can set your tea. Add a great cozy throw and not-too-bright-lighting, and you’ll feel miles away from the craziness of everyday.

And if you really can't find a space to carve out, then create a mobile sanctuary. There are several companies that make great drawers set on casters. Fill the drawers with pretty things and make any small space in the house your own with a mobile mom sanctuary.

How about you? Do you have any special mom space in your home? What would you include in your mom sanctuary if you had one?

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Wow, those spaces look like absolute bliss! :0) I don't really have a space I covet in my house...is that bad? If I did have one it would probably include a big squashy chair, in a soundproof room with a giant window overlooking some green space, and a lock on the door!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 5:14:00 PM EDT  
Blogger cmorgenstern said...

I do agree with everything Catherine said except I would like a phone in there as well so I could talk with my girlfriends without contantly being interupted by nosy children.
The spaces look fabulous. I will keep these ideas in my projects to come folder. Thanks.
Christa

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 5:47:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Robin. said...

i think every woman should have such a place. mom or not.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 7:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Apryl said...

I loooooooove your dressing room. The lighting is great, the cowhide rug is genius. I think the closest thing I have to "mom space" right now is my computer desk. I've been trying to make my work station "pretty" lately, especially since I spend so much time staring at the same 3'. I've made a few minor changes, but have big plans. BIG PLANS. Who says computer desks have to be plain and full of random paper and bills???

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 10:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Natalie Meester said...

how about a wine bar! hee hee hee!

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 10:21:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous mommymichelle6 said...

When we re-did a bathroom in our house, I claimed it as my own. I asked DH to splurge for a garden tub.

That is my space! There are days when life gets crazy and I'll sit in there(no need for water if life is really crazy) with a book for a few minutes of respite.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:40:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Lucy C said...

The spaces look amazing - I'd love to create something like this for my Mum. I'm just not sure she'd ever take the time to sit back and relax, she always too busy running around worrying about and helping other people.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:53:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Kate The Great said...

I've already taken steps to create my own little corner in our apartment, and I'm not a Mom yet. I have a suede orangy-red chaise that I spend several hours every day on, and a side table next to it with all the coupons and books and projects that might be on my mind. I use my chaise for computer time, reading time, and napping time and it feels very luxurious.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:47:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home