Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Reincarnated Kids Furniture — by Guest Mom Lara Fishman


I think being a mom, and understanding moms’ needs, actually makes me a much better designer. When choosing furniture for kids (my own or a client's), I try to keep a few things in mind. The pieces must be durable, safe, and preferably timeless. I’m a huge proponent of pieces of furniture that ‘grow’ with your children and can serve multiple purposes. This prevents parents from constantly replacing and throwing away pieces — clearly not the most sustainable or affordable option.

For example, I love the Oeuf crib that converts to a toddler bed or the Stokke convertible changing table that can become a desk, play table, or even a CD rack when your baby outgrows its first function.



Another example, the Tottoman, was created for one of my clients who needed additional storage. But we raised it on casters and added safety hinges so that toddlers could use the over-sized soft ottoman as an impromptu walker. It also makes a great hiding place. : ) As the child grows, the ottoman can be re-upholstered in different fabrics and live a long and useful life.

A third I idea I love to see implemented: converting old heirloom dressers into hip changing tables. Once your child outgrows them, you can re-convert the table back to a chest of drawers. A new set of hardware and a new coat of paint can update any tired old piece of furniture into a new and timeless piece. Brilliant.

Have you reincarnated any of your furniture? I'd love to hear your stories!

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have used an old TV armoire from Crate & Barrel as our kids changing table and dresser. We moved the one adjustable shelf way up to the top where it holds changing table supplies. We put a foam changing table base with a cover in the cabinet.

It works and looks GREAT -- I don't have to worry a kid rolling out and I can close the cabinet doors and not have to look at all the changing stuff. We used it with my first son until he was potty trained and he was way at the top of the growth charts. When #2 is done, it can be used to hold books or clothes with the shelves in a more normal arrangement.

A LOT of function in a little space. Woo hoo!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 7:17:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mockabee Seven said...

My favorite thing is to take trashed dressers/ furniture, etc. and add some paint and new hardware. Plus, you get the exact color you wanted rather than a pre-selected pink or blue!

Here are two of my projects:
http://mockabeenews.blogspot.com/search/label/let%27s%20decorate
The green dresser in the top post (which I found IN the dumpster at the Salvation Army!) and the red dresser at the bottom (which was a garage sale purchase for $20). Score!

Thanks for the tips!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 10:31:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Paige said...

As of this weekend (successful potty-training of our three-year-old), we no longer have a need for the gorgeous changing table that my husband built...we're thinking about turning it into a bar...how's that for reuse!

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 9:32:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Karen/twinmom said...

the dresser/changing table we use for my boys was mine as a child. and my 3 brothers, and my sister! a changing pad fit perfectly on top. we also have a dresser in our bath for storage that I remade. the bottom 3 drawers were removed & and the divides cut out, for a shelf. the top two drawers are used one for my husband, one for me. and the space below is all the back up supplies we need, covered by a fabric panel that matches the roman shade I made for the window. the dresser cost $35. the paint, fabric & hardware I already had.

Monday, June 1, 2009 at 2:44:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do kids reincarnate?

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 7:58:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home