Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Artisan Bread at Home — by Guest Mom Amy of Progressive Pioneer



There's something meditative about breadmaking that I absolutely love; the slow process of yeast developing, the rhythmic kneading, the suspense of waiting to take it out of the oven, perfectly browned. Up until recently, however, eating my whole wheat bread was less a zen experience, and more an exercise in patience as one chewed their way through a doorstop disguised as bread.

All that changed when I met Peter Reinhart. Okay, so we haven't actually met, but I feel a certain kinship as I've read his book cover to cover and it's now stained and marked as any well-loved cookbook should be.


All his recipes are 100% whole grain. He works with the properties of the grain with amazing results. Don't be intimidated by the two day process; it's really just as easy, if not easier that the regular method; much less kneading involved. And he's got everything from a simple sandwich bread to whole wheat bagels and cinnamon rolls.


Also, it may just be a rumor, but I've heard that Artisan Breads in Five Minutes a Day is coming out with a whole grains version... I've got my fingers crossed!

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Barbie said...

Mmmm...can't wait to try this cookbook! Is this Ms. Thompson of SLC? I'm assuming so. So fun to see you on here!

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 12:17:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Artfulife said...

I've got this on my list of books to buy.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 12:27:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Michelle {lovely little things} said...

My mom always made homemade bread growing up, it was always fun for my sisters and I to help make different kinds of bread in the kitchen. Glad to hear other families still keep up this tradition.

Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 6:46:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous gcbrant said...

I have this book and it really is true: great fresh bread in no time. My only complaint is that it's hard to find enough room in my fridge for the ginormous bowl to hold the dough. Still, it's totally worth it just for the smell!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 12:59:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home