Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Going Green — by Guest Mom Amy of Progressive Pioneer

There's a certain morning ritual that has me so hooked I almost can't start my day without it. Not coffee, but green smoothies. Because the appearance can be a bit alarming, you really have to try it before you pass judgment. The basic recipe at our house is this:

-Half a banana

-A handful of blueberries (add enough to make it tasty)

-Several handfuls of fresh spinach

-Enough water to make it drinkable

-And that's it!

I promise it tastes great; spinach blends really well with fruit. And it's SO good for you! Once you get that down, you can get fancier with strawberries, carrots, oranges, melon, peaches, fresh coconut and pineapple; there are a million yummy possibilities!



Tiffany of Naturemoms.com puts her green smoothies in popsicle molds as treats for the kids. We love these Tovolo rocket and star molds (ours were a wedding gift!). Mixing spinach with yummy fruit in a rocket pop just might have your kids begging for their greens!

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger amy smart said...

We are big fans of spinach smoothies. I keep a big bag of those frozen berries from Costco in the freezer all the time and they make the smoothie delish. I'm thinking we're going to have to try smoothie-pops though. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 10:26:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Mariah said...

What a great idea! I love the idea of green smoothie popsicles. I just linked to this post :)

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 10:49:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Mixing Bowl Mama said...

Wow...what a great idea...Yummy!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 4:01:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Steph said...

Spinach smoothies? Seriously? I guess I don't have to tell the kids...

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 4:35:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kristen's Raw said...

I love green smoothies!
I love green smoothie pops!
I love Tiffany!

Cheers,
Kristen

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 5:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger swell news said...

We love smoothies too! I had never tried spinach, until tonight. My 7 year old rubbed her tummy and said yummy. They all slurped it up actually. I was wondering if you could be a bit more specific about your measurements??

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 7:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Peggy said...

another green smoothie loving family here- can't tell you the difference it's made for our family! We do the popsicles as well - they eat them for breakfast! I said go ahead and tell your Sunday School teacher - "Our Mom gives us 2 popsicles for breakfast!" hahaha
check out www.greensmoothiegirl.com for great info! She has a book coming out soon too!!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 12:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Carolyne said...

Hmmm. I bet that tastes yummy!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 11:28:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home