Friday, October 31, 2008

Butter Issues — by Guest Mom Mrs. Dub



Sometimes I hate blogging. I turn on my computer and feel like a hundred voices are screaming at me — "Buy organic!" "Live in the moment!" "Sew everything!" "Be true to yourself." It often makes me feel worse about myself, even while enriching me. Like anything, there is too much of a good thing.


The best perk of blogging, however, is the way it has made me more conscious. I'm more aware about my feelings, my preferences, my aesthetic and my choices than before I started reading. Seeing the homes and belongings of other people has made me more aware of the choices available to me. As a result, I don't settle as much when buying household goods.

Unfortunately, this is why I don't have a butter dish.

First, a confession: I grew up in margarine household — Country Crock, to be specific. (It was the 80's, can you blame us?) When I grew up and married a butter-loving man, we compromised and now break out the butter on special(er) occasions, like Sunday dinners.

For the last five years, I've just been throwing that butter on a small dessert plate. It's not totally offensive, but it isn't the best way to care for butter. Most of the time, it gets all smooshy and ends up down the drain.

However, my conscious buying has prevented me from getting a formal butter dish. Every time I go to Target, I stop and look at their small array of butter dishes and think, "You can do better." (No offense, Target; it's me, not you.) A plain, white ceramic butter dish wouldn't be the end of the world, but wouldn't one of these be even better? Then again, some of these are pricey! At least boring costs less than $10.

Clockwise from left:
1. Michael Graves for Alessi via Unica Home, $119 (!!)
2. Fiestaware at Macy's, $32
3. Blomus dish at Pure Modern, $46.34
4. Alessi stainless dish via Unica Home, $87

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

You should think about getting a french butter crock. It's just a little bowl with a lid, and I think they're super stylish. I saw a bunch of them on etsy.

Friday, October 31, 2008 at 11:03:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Angy said...

oooo i love the colored ones! but i'm with you... i dont think i'd pay those prices for one :P

Friday, October 31, 2008 at 11:04:00 AM EDT  
Blogger MsAmanda said...

I love my cobalt fiesta butter dish. plus, you almost never have to pay full price for fiestaware at department stores. Mine local department store is always having a sale on fiestaware. Amazon is a GREAT place for fiestaware too--they have all the colors at a lower price ($21.99 for the butter dish).

Friday, October 31, 2008 at 11:34:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Amanda said...

Love my butter crock!

Friday, October 31, 2008 at 11:41:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Teresa said...

I just had to leave a comment and say how much I agree with the first part of your post today. I too, have a love hate relationship with blogging. There are days when I just can't take another "I love my life!" one more time. Or, I swear bloggers with English majors who can write exactly what I've been thinking for weeks and I can't seem to put it into words. You rock, and I can't stand it!;)

Friday, October 31, 2008 at 12:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Eva said...

I have a butter crock that i"m perfectly pleased with...at least I was until I saw the Fiesta ware.

Friday, October 31, 2008 at 1:14:00 PM EDT  
Blogger hanner said...

That's funny that you bring this up--my husband is also a butter dish man, and HE is the one that isn't happy with any of the dishes we find. Thanks for the tips!

Friday, October 31, 2008 at 1:19:00 PM EDT  
Blogger M-Ware said...

i, too, had this dilemma. i bought the red butter dish from anthro about a year ago (i think it was $10-12) and have never looked back. it's the cutest thing in my kitchen.

Friday, October 31, 2008 at 1:33:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been coveting one of those crock-type butter holders, where you fill part with water, and then leave it out. I, too, have been waiting for the most perfect one.

Friday, October 31, 2008 at 3:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lindsey from The R House said...

a butter dish must have a little handle on the top. far too many times my non-handle will slip from my hands and land in the middle of the butter. so not-okay. these are brilliant!

Friday, October 31, 2008 at 4:22:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Rachel F. said...

Go with a butter bell!! Much more functional than a butter plate, the butter stays soft all the time, and there are cute options (google to see what I mean).

Saturday, November 1, 2008 at 8:22:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the cobalt blue fiesta ware one. It was so great, but it broke and now I am without a butter dish as well. Its a hard decision to make when you feel like all items in your home should be beautiful, useful and last a long time.

Friday, November 7, 2008 at 6:34:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home