Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hosting for Dummies — by Guest Mom Mrs. Dub



Like many in the DM Club, I have a compulsion to throw parties. I would actually prefer to be a guest at a cool gathering, but so would everyone else, so I play party martyr a few times a year. My biggest weakness is baby showers. I could meet you in the check-out line, and I would offer to host your shower. (That actually happened.)


Thankfully, my bestie and her sis run Gourmet Girls. Everything I know I've learned (= stolen) from them and their long line of culinary-minded kin.


Thus, if I had to give one tip for throwing a big bash it would be to copy someone else. It's always easier in my opinion, and you know it's worked before. (Unlike Mr. Dub's proposed grilled cheese party: BYOC. Get it?)


Here are a few other tips I've learned from them and from my own hosting gigs, though this might be a big "duh" for some of you seasoned party peeps. However, if you ever read this blog and feel a tad insecure like me, here you go:


* Lots of food, little table - While your table will be crowded, an overflowing smorgasbord looks more impressive than a spartan spread, even if it's the same amount of food. If you are going for a modern look, you can still benefit from a smaller space; just organize food into tight rows.


* Plate up - Use tiered trays and cake stands to add height and interest to your spread. Easy.


* Personalized dishware = homemade - I'm all about convenience foods, especially with the gourmet variety now available at warehouse and grocery stores. The key is to plate them on something equally beautiful. Do not serve it out of a plastic container, or I will fight you.

* Pick your battles - Do NOT convince yourself you are going to try 10 new recipes for the big event. First, you'll freak out the night before and edit the list down, wasting a ton of groceries, and then Mr. Dub will give you that look. Second, you don't have the time or energy. Just pick a few "wow" items from your repertoire and supplement the rest with pre-made items and easy dishes.

* Ten percent rule - I totally stole this from the Gourmet Girls, who always plan for 10 percent more food than they think they need. (Understanding that typically one-third of your guest list won't show.) You'll probably go home with leftovers, but better than than seeing your guests stop by Taco Bell on the way out.


* Let it go - When it's time to party, party! You do want to be on top of refills, but don't be a slave to the kitchen. You did the work; you deserve to enjoy it. It's not worth it if you are counting the minutes until everyone leaves. (Unless it's your awkward friend who always talks about her ex-boyfriend -- from tenth grade. That's understandable.)

image via the amazing Amy Atlas

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

"Do not serve it out of a plastic container, or I will fight you."

I <3 You. I designated myself a "co-host" of Friday night's party at a friends house just so I can bring serving dishes. Otherwise, he would open the container, plunk it on the counter and expect people to use chips for utensils. Just the thought of that is painful to me.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 9:31:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Kim said...

Great advice. In theory I enjoy throwing parties but when I actually do, I typically find myself scrambling around, not having much fun at all. Thanks for the tip!

Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 9:51:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly wise tips, especially i love the one with small table and the last point! (I always remain a kitchen-slave or even worse - I am serving everything and gathering dirty dishes and am trying to wash them at once so that I usually miss the party and finally get to hating parties. all of them. May be if I'd be able to have fun together with guests, it'd become really a PARTY for me:)

Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 10:44:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Charmaine said...

OK, I was totally relating to the hosting a shower for the woman in the grocery store line. Baby and bridal showers are my kryptonite! In fact, I am hosting one on Saturday. When I lived close to my sisters, we would all pitch in and help each other - we were pretty kick a**, if I do say so (and I do!). So, now that I am far away from them, throwing a shower is kind of like comfort food. And you know I will be calling them the night before to get some last minute advice and tips to make everything just perfect!

Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 12:53:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the GREAT tips! My baby is turning one a couple of weeks and I'm planning a little party for her, just family and close friends, but I still want to throw a perfectly fun, adorable party...

Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 2:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the post! As a hostess who is being passed the entertaining torch more and more for family functions, etc. I would love some ideas on "can't be beat" or "tried and true" appetizers for medium sized gatherings of people (20-30).

:) Mae

Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 2:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm about to host my son's 2nd birthday and I will definitely keep these in mind. Specially the Personalized dishware-- good point!!

Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 7:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gina said...

Ummm, I'll let you know next time I'm pregnant and hopefully you'll offer to throw me a shower (you know, since we're strangers and all). I'm hosting a wedding shower on Saturday and I so wish the table could look as super-cute as the one in your picture.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 10:01:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home