Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Namaste — by Guest Mom Jane Maynard

No matter how many yoga classes I go to, I still feel dumb saying “Namaste” at the end. Oh, and the time the teacher made us roar like lions. Yeah, that didn’t feel silly at all.

Seriously, though, I LOVE YOGA for many reasons. I don’t have to run. I’m a yuppie, so it fits. Just kidding. There are so many benefits – increased flexibility, better sleeping, improved stamina, better breathing, improved balance (which is a bonus when you’re a clutz). Yoga is the best.



Yoga on the beach at Cape Cod. That’s me on the right…I’m willing to post this picture because my tush isn’t facing the camera…sorry to cousin & sis-in-law, but they do have cute tushies.


If you haven’t ever done yoga, give it a try! Anyone can do it – I promise! My advice is to find a good beginner class. The best thing I ever did for my yoga practice was take a class geared specifically for beginners who had never done yoga before. The class laid a very strong foundation that I draw on to this day.


Off the yoga soapbox, Jane! Tell us your yoga faves!




FAVORITE YOGA WEBSITE:
Yoga Today.
Yoga Today provides a FREE 1-hour yoga class EVERY DAY. And the classes are high quality. You can even sync it up to your iTunes as a podcast. Love it.



FAVORITE YOGA CLOTHES: Ahtleta.
Every time I get my Athleta catalog in the mail I really wish I had planted a money tree in my new garden. I would be the best looking yogi this side of the Mississippi.



FAVORITE YOGA MATS: Gaiam.
These mats are TOO cute. You can even pick one up on your next trip to Target. One other mat tip…Marshalls usually has cute yoga mats at GREAT prices. You might have to dig through a few messy piles, but it’s worth it!

Labels:

add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

LOVE Athleta! I'm working on my money tree right now.

My super-generous mom sometimes treats me with clothes from that lovely catalog.

I'm trying out a subscription to Core Power Yoga video on demand. I like that it has videos of different lengths. Sometimes it's easier to squeeze in two shorter practices than one long practice.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 at 3:18:00 PM EDT  
Blogger pve design said...

Nice but to go with nice YOGA clothes and matts.
My fave site for life is that of my yoga teacher-
"wholesomeyou.com" great ideas and links for you.
namaste

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 5:15:00 AM EDT  
Blogger jane maynard said...

I will check both of those site out, lauren and pve design! thank you!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 1:10:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane, how cool to see you as a guest blogger on Design Mom!

Thanks for the link. I've been doing the same Crunch yoga DVD for the past year+ and I'm so sick of it... I'll definitely try out yoga today.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 11:46:00 AM EDT  
Blogger jane maynard said...

thanks, adriana - it's been SO fun being on Design Mom! :)

I need to "fix" something from this post...Yoga Today doesn't have the podcast/iPod download available anymore (they very recently discontinued it). you can still get a new workout each day on their website, however. anyway, just wanted to let you all know!

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 8:29:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home