Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Favorite Things: Framing Fun Stuff — by Guest Mom Jane Maynard

As I was getting my act together for this guest mom gig, I realized that I’ve framed a few interesting items over the years. Thought I’d share my favorites with you. (Pssst…they’re super affordable too!)




Vintage Flash Cards.

I found these vintage flashcards in an antique store in Solana Beach, CA years ago. As soon as I saw them I knew they needed to be hanging on my wall. That store has since stopped carrying them, but if you frequent antique stores, keep an eye out for me — and for yourself, of course!




Art Museum Post Cards
This is CHEAP and EASY. I bought a bunch of postcards from the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. I then framed my favorites in cheap black 5X7 frames. Simply tape the post card to a 5X7 piece of black paper, pop it in the frame and you’re done! Since you end up with a bunch of small frames, you can arrange them on your wall in interesting ways or use as filler with bigger frames.



Fabric.

This is not the most original idea, but I still love it. Framed fabric. I recently put these frames together for my girls’ bedroom. I went with similar patterns and textures but in three different colors. You could come up with all kinds of combinations!


I need to give a quick shout out to Jonathan & Hannah from FabrixAndMore.org. They have access to high-quality fabric samples that they collect and distribute for FREE every month. You can’t believe how much STUFF they get. That’s where I found these great fabrics. If you’re in the Bay Area, check it out. If you’re not, I recommend going out and trying to get your hands on samples wherever you live! Think of the fun you could have…

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy

11 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

I have a whole photo box full of art postcards from museums. I'm a museum-holic and I always leave with a least a few of my favorite images. I also frame some of them for my walls.

What I like about them is that every once in a while I change out all the postcards so I've got a whole new wall of art to look at!

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 3:23:00 AM EDT  
Blogger jane maynard said...

that is so true! when we moved a few months ago, it was very fun to swap out postcards. excellent point! :)

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 10:53:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Montee said...

I do this with scraps of fabric, too. I also love to frame old or vintage postcards. When my great-aunt passed away, we found tons of old cards.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 12:06:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

What a great idea! We just moved into a new house and I was needing some "art" for our bedroom. I can't wait to go the fabric store! yeah!

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 12:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Just be...... said...

will you come over and help me frame stuff? I'll make us lunch????

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 2:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger jane maynard said...

montee - what a fun find! I'm jealous...

sarah - you'll love this "art" in your room...so affordable and you can make it "match" however you want - oh the possibilities!

just be...I wish I could! that sounds fun :)

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 5:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger brit.brat said...

guess what!! SOLO has them again!! i emailed the chick..and she brought them back. crazy huh! so if anyone is in cedros design district..they're back!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 4:42:00 AM EDT  
Blogger jane maynard said...

that's awesome, brit! next time I'm in san diego I'm stocking up on them - yea! :)

Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 12:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kristina said...

Oh! the vintage flash cards from solo in solana beach (my home town). I love these. I have a collection too, some of them framed. I was actually there a few weeks ago and she just got a bunch more in. Cute blog!

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 4:22:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kristina said...

oops, someone already said that. :)

Friday, July 25, 2008 at 4:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger jane maynard said...

I wish I was still in san diego...I may have to send a friend over to stock me up on more flashcards!!! so glad they have them back in stock.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 8:26:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home