Thursday, June 26, 2008

ART — Art Museums Are For Babies Too! — by Guest Mom Burgin Streetman



As the daughter of a museum director dad and a painter mom, I started going to museums the moment I came out of the womb. Somewhere I read once that you shouldn’t “drag” kids into an art museum until they are older, and I think that sentiment is total baloney. My son was propped up in a stroller the first time he visited the Museum of Modern Art in NYC, and though we stayed only 35 minutes, I’ll never forget the moment he looked at Jackson Pollock’s White Light and screamed “Look at all the pretty colors Mom!” He then went on to tell me Christina in Christina’s World by Andrew Wyeth looked like our neighbor Mary Ann. When it came time to pick out something from the gift shop, he selected postcards of both paintings. Awwww. (Museum gift shops are the best places to shop for awesome kids’ stuff, and the MOMA Design Store is worth a trip to NYC all by itself.)


The key to taking kids’ to art museums is to let them take it on their own pace. Don’t go expecting to see everything. Choose one exhibit and stay as long as the child feels comfortable. Ask your child to tell you about what they see. Engage them in the full experience. Talk about the colors. Count the shapes. Most museums encourage kids to come in and have a look see. After all, they are the next generations of patrons (and donors). On a recent trip to Santa Fe, we visited the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, and the admissions provided us with a copy of the children’s book My Name is Georgia and pointed us to a bench to read before taking in the show.


I find that memberships make the experience much more enjoyable. They allow you to stay five minutes or 50 and really feel comfortable letting your kid set the pace. Even going a handful of times over the course of the year can earn your money back, plus you often get invited to member exclusive events that are kid-centered. Your local museum should be a place your child feels comfortable. A place he or she can call his own. It shouldn’t be looked at as a treat to be enjoyed only once a year on a school trip.


I know going to museums seems like a luxury, and those on a tight schedule and budget can feel overwhelmed. However, it’s these little moments with your family can build a lifetime of cool memories and expand your little one’s world view. Plus, maybe you’ll learn something along the way.


Still not convinced to make the trek out? One of my favorite museums as a child — The National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC — has a super cool interactive Website for kids where they can mix and match classical paintings, create a work of abstract art, or build a virtual mobile ala Calder.


Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth H. said...

I totally agree with you!!!!

Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 9:57:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Laura said...

I agree too! I have taken my kids (now 6 and 2) in strollers to the Ghetti, LACMA Huntington Galeries and more. I think it's good for them, but I have noticed that we don't always get the warmest reception from the museum staff. I tend to get a lot of raised eyebrows and glares if my kids get excited (loud) about a piece, or if I let them walk around(!). It's not like their unattended, but a lot of people seem to think that it's no place for kids. But I do it anyway, and pointedly ignore the looks.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 11:15:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Jen said...

I live minutes from DC, so my kids go to museums ALL THE TIME! They love it, ask insightful questions, and it gives us great opportunities to talk. Plus, all the Smithsonian galleries are free, which means if there is a meltdown after 10 minutes, I don't feel bad for walking out! My kids do have issues with noise, but as long as they aren't running around I don't worry. I have really enjoyed your posts this week. Thank you!

Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 11:22:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Sharon Beesley said...

love the idea of getting a membership and only staying 5 minutes. that sounds doable.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 11:26:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true that living near DC affords the luxury of free museums. No pressure to "get your money's worth." The membership is a good solution for people that don't have access to museums like the Smithsonian. As long as you don't treat it like that gym membership.....

Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 11:46:00 AM EDT  
Blogger liz said...

thanks for this post- I have been wanting to hit the SF MOMA with my kids but not sure I should. I took my baby to the MET a few times and the gug it was so fun and totally smooth experience.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 12:33:00 PM EDT  
Blogger heather said...

thanks for posting about museum-going with kids! I agree...I think the younger they come the better museum goers they'll become. The key is to let them set the pace...and get them telling you about what they see!

I can't wait to take my infants and toddlers and children and teens to museums!

Friday, June 27, 2008 at 3:35:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Stephanie said...

What a lovely post...

I used to take my oldest child to Harvard's Fogg Museum occasionally since I was able to receive free admission. At home I'd been teaching her about Van Gogh and unbeknownst to me, the Fogg owns a few...including a self-portrait. One particular day we entered the museum galleries and my daughter shouted as loud as her little body would allow, "Mommy, it's Van Gogh!) I had no idea she could identify him and was thrilled of course at this discovery. Despite that fact that she was "shushed" by the film crew there that day, I was so proud of her. I very much cherish that memory.

Friday, June 27, 2008 at 8:53:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love art museums, too! Jasper has been going since he was a baby. He's a rambunctious guy but he was great about learning not to touch the art.

Art galleries are great, too! Here in NYC, the Chelsea galleries are sandwiched between two playgrounds --it's like they're asking us to bring the kids.

Friday, June 27, 2008 at 8:58:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love going to art museums. My 3 year old calls MOMA "the helicopter museum" because we inevitably spend 45 minutes looking at and talking about the helicopter that hangs over the staircase. Then the collection of masterpieces hanging in the galleries get about 5 minutes.

So, a big second on getting a membership and letting kids set the pace.

Another NYC museum to hit right now is the Met for the Superhero fashion show.

Friday, June 27, 2008 at 7:04:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home