Monday, June 23, 2008

Books — Random Fun Picks — by Guest Mom Burgin Streetman

I find books by scouring my local hotspots and discovering titles at random, but sometimes I hear about a book that sounds so awesome… so amazing… so grand that I just have to have it right that moment or I will DIE. A friend will tell me about a great book August doesn’t possess, and it will eat me alive until I have it in my hand and am reading it aloud to him.

Here are just a few of the titles that in past moments have made me insane with greed. Perhaps they will spark a flame, and you too can lose sleep thinking about all the books out there that some child other that your own is enjoying.





OUT-OF-PRINT
1) Switch on the Night by Ray Bradbury, pictures by Madeleine Gekiere

2) The Crows of Pearblossom by Aldous Huxley, by Barbara Cooney
3) The Tyger Voyage by Richard Adams, pictures by Nicola Bayley

4) Grandpa’s Farm by James Flora

5) The Circus Baby by Maud and Miska Petersham


IN-PRINT

1) D'Aulaire's Book of Animals by Ingri and Edgar Parin d'Aulaire

2) Zoo by Bruce Minari

3) Summer by Alice Low, pictures by Roy McKie

4) The Red Balloon by Albert Lamorisse

5) A Very Special House by Ruth Krauss, pictures by Maurice Sendak


You can join me in my obsession daily at Vintage Kids’ Books My Kid Loves… but be warned. It is contagious.


Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love D'aulaire's - we couldn't get enough of their Greek Myths book growing up. I've been meaning to buy one for my kids - since the original from my childhood doesn't seem to have survived (I hate that!)

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 10:26:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Burgin Streetman said...

i know... that was the only d'aulaire book i had as a child... as i mentioned on the blog i think, the story about the snake licking the guy's ears so clean that he could hear the termites talk totally blew my mind.

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 10:56:00 AM EDT  
Blogger amy turn sharp said...

love these so much! I am loving yr posts!!!

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 12:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Summer is a great book, we just discovered it last week!
Vanessa from www.inevergrewup.net

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 3:02:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I just added you to my bookmarks. I, too, have been scouring the world for books I loved as a child. I wonder if you can help me put a name to one I can't remember: it was an illustrated songbook that went with a recording we had in the 1970s. It had lots of the typical nursery rhymes including: Polly Put the Kettle On (the book had a picture of two little girls having tea), Little Tom Tucker (picture of a boy singing for bread under a window), London Bridge (picture of the bridge burning/in flames), Dance to Your Daddy, Dame Get up and make your pies, Old King Cole (picture of the birds coming out the pie), Little Jack Horner (picture of him pulling out a plumb on his thumb). This book also had Ride a cock horse to banbury cross and there was a great picture of the woman with rings on her fingers and bells on her toes (and I can hear the woman's voice singing the song in my head!).

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 11:20:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, have you read The Cremation of Sam McGee? It's kind of "creepy" in that it deals with the concept of cremation, but the rhymes are awesome and the illustrations are wonderful.

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 11:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Burgin Streetman said...

i've never heard of either, but let me do some research.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 8:50:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home