Monday, June 23, 2008

Hello. It's Nice to Meet You. — by Guest Mom Burgin Streetman



My name is Burgin Streetman, and that’s me in the middle circa 1974 squashed between my two sisters. A long, long time ago (5 years) in a land far, far away (New York City), I was the director of marketing and publicity at a big time book publishing house, but I gave it all up for the love of my life, a front lawn, and a chance to realize one of my lifelong dreams — to rear a TEXAN. I am madly in love with my three-year-old cowboy, August, but I’ve made the hard decision to only have one child and really give props to you moms who juggle multiple kids at once. (Design Mom – You are a god, a saint and a lunatic.)




Deep into anything vintage, I swamp my son’s life with so much moldy kids’ stuff, he’ll probably have respiratory complications later in life. I love reading (never get to do it), travel (probably do too much of it), and modern design (though I can’t afford most of it). Blogging is a pastime for me (way more often than I should) ~ both at Vintage Kids’ Books My Kid Loves reviewing one crusty old children’s book a day and at Scribbling in San Antonio ranting about life’s little highs and woes.


I write freelance occasionally for the alternative weekly and the daily paper here in San Antonio. Though currently, my heart and soul are working on a memoir about growing up in South Carolina. You can expect it to come out somewhere around 2020, about the time my son graduates from college (fingers crossed), and I have more than two moments to myself.


There is so much I wanna share that my head is spinning, but I’ve decided this week will be broken down to the five essentials I think every kid needs for an inspired childhood.

BOOKS. NATURE. MUSIC. ART. TRAVEL.


That said, I want to thank Gabrielle for allowing me to fill your heads with nonsense. Here’s to the week ahead!

Labels:

add to kirtsy

9 Comments:

Blogger Biddy said...

welcome to design mom, my fellow texan!

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 9:51:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Burgin Streetman said...

Go Texas!!! And thanks for the welcome!

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 9:59:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Brenda Jo said...

looking forward to the nonsense!

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 10:09:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check you vintage books site daily and especially LOVE it when I see my old favorites featured. I have three kids and while I dote on all of them, I often envy those of you with one. You can give him 100% and you can really take him anywhere. My neighbor has one son and they always seem to be off to a new adventure. Mine are all under the age of three, so making it to the park and back in one piece is about as adventurous as we can get right now! My husband and I often look at your neighbors with not just a little awe and say, "they could take him to Italy..." I'm a huge fan of moms of one - I love and admire many of them. Look forward to this weeks' posts.

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 10:20:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Burgin Streetman said...

thanks for coming over kate. my husband actually has a financial spreadsheet for why we should have only one kid... and I will admit the word Harvard is used on there at least once.

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 10:58:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here, Here!!! I'm a South Carolinian too & will be waiting on that book ;)

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 7:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Burgin Streetman said...

i love south carolinians and will always, always, always consider myself one... even though we moved there when I was 5 and left when I was 14

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 8:54:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, I look forward to reading your posts!

Ah, it's always nice to hear from other mothers of onlies. It's a tough decision to make and there's a lot of pressure. But we all have to make our own choices about our ideal family life and the answers are all different. I love just having my one son, too.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 4:15:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and Kate, we actually did take our one son to Italy last year. ;)

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 4:16:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home