Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Music — Music Together, LPs and More — by Guest Mom Burgin Streetman

Music education is as important for children as learning to read or write. It is the spiritual tonic that binds us all together, and makes it possible to communicate no matter where we are from or what language we speak. As the daughter of a pianist and a mess-arounder on the guitar myself, I started my son early — first in Kindermusic as a baby and then through to Music Together — so he could begin to learn basic melody and harmony.

Of course, real music education starts at home. I wanted to make instruments accessible for August, so in addition to his obligatory box of musical fun, he got a five-piece drum set for his third birthday. The awesome Vintage Drum Center offers up a nice selection of tot-sized kits, and really helps those of us who have no idea what we are doing navigate the cymbaled waters. I am holding off until he is five to bring piano lessons into the fold though… don’t wanna be too stage mom.



He loves the old spoken stories and music available for download on Kiddie Records Weekly, and got his first real live record player a few months back. I love the feel of changing vinyl for my son. The thoughtfulness of selecting an album, taking it out of the sleeve, placing it on the turntable, setting the needle, etc… etc creates an air of patience and appreciation for what he’s about to hear ~ whether it’s vintage Little Golden Records or Turandot or The Muppet Movie or The Beach Boys or Nat King Cole or Mario Lanza or Raymond Scott.

The way I see it, the more music related things he has filling his life the better. It is what marketing people like to call high touch, multiple touch. Being exposed to a thing often and in places that matter will incorporate said thing into your life in a way that makes it stick. Here’s to sticking!


Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

These are the kind of things I think of fondly when I imagine being a mother to my future kid(s). Especially since my husband is a drummer, ha.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 11:23:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Burgin Streetman said...

awesome... since we don't have a household full of musicians hanging around... he's replying on me to make-believe he lives in a family full of musical talent... you future kids are sooo lucky!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 11:44:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Liz Allman said...

I couldn't agree more, my four year old is a committed dancer but private drum lessons have been key in helping her understand rhythm. Also, percussion has such a wide range of sounds that little ones can never be bored.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 2:12:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got a great handle on introducing August to music, he will no doubt recognize it as a fun and crucial part of his life. Starting piano at around 5 is a great idea - I just began a 4 year old and there is plenty for us to do (counting in time, clapping rhythms, learning letters and finger numbers, etc.) as he his develops his finer motor skills. Just be sure you choose an educator who puts August first and music somewhere else on the list. The last thing you want is for him to have the joy of discovering and learning taken out of his music!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 4:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger mj said...

Music is so good for kids, so good for all of us! It's definitely a part of our family life, and I love the ways you've introduced your son to the joys of music--way to go.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 5:08:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Burgin Streetman said...

thanks gang... yea I was thinking five too... finding a piano teacher is gonna be tougher than finding a husband I think...

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 6:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger liz said...

so fun- i hear ya.

my drum kit is a bit too big for my boy, so i should probably think of getting him a little one. good to see other boys' mothers putting sticks in his hands!!!

Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 12:36:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home