Friday, April 20, 2007

Skirt Makeover



Last week I spotted this great project at Room Somewhere and I've got the perfect piece of clothing to try it out. So smart. Just sew a contrasting fabric beneath your piece of clothing. Trace a shape and then sew along the tracing line. Then cut the shape out of the top fabric to reveal the constrast beneath.



And here's my story: I picked up a skirt from Banana Republic a few weeks ago and during the second wearing I cleaned the kitchen with some kind of bleach product and got two bleach spots right on the front. Of course I was irritated at myself and was sad that I was going to have to let the skirt go — it's cute and fit very well. So I was so delighted to come across this project.

The skirt is perfect for something like this especially because of 3 facts: the 2 bleach spots appeared strategically to the left, which is great, because I would rather have the design off-centered. Second, the skirt hem was designed with a deconstructed look which this kind of project lends itself to (plus I'm not good at refined sewing). Third, the material is a solid color, a khaki green, neutral enough to offset pretty much any color or pattern.

Read the enlarged instructions here.

Wish me luck!

Labels:

add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

hooray! i'm so glad you can use this. it's such a great idea. you ought to post pictures of the result!

Friday, April 20, 2007 at 10:11:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am excited to see it! Hope it turns out as well as you hope!

Friday, April 20, 2007 at 10:21:00 AM EDT  
Blogger lsaspacey said...

Aww, I so miss Budget Living magazine !

Friday, April 20, 2007 at 3:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Mumsy said...

I love that blog!!

Friday, April 20, 2007 at 4:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger sara said...

i love this idea. i bet your skirt will end up looking like something from boden. can't wait to see the final product.

Friday, April 20, 2007 at 11:25:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Carina said...

I love this idea! Who doesn't adore Anthropologie? This is another way to ape their ideas without the pricetag.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 at 11:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

wow great idea-and wonderful save on the skirt

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 8:19:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home