Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Quest for the Perfect Bathing Suit — by Guest Mom Sara Stratford

I wish I had a photo of my husband’s face the day he walked by my laptop and caught me shopping for bathing suits. He found it preposterous for a few different reasons, such as:

-It was January. A bit premature for bathing suit shopping, especially since we weren’t going anywhere warm for spring break.

-I was (and still am) massively pregnant. Why would a person as large as me be thinking about prancing around in practically no clothing?

I attempted an explanation: couldn’t he see how vital having just the right suit this year would be for me? I need one that is practical (I must be able to discreetly nurse while wearing it) and it must have super-suction powers, especially around the waist. Most of my body bounces back from pregnancy quickly, but my stomach has refused to return to any semblance of it’s pre-baby form. I’m planning on a thick spare tire for at least 14 months after I finally get this kid out.

If I had the body I had last summer,
this would be the suit I’d buy:

I absolutely love the ketchup color; nothing is better than light blue and red together. But there’s absolutely no chance it will suck in my stomach like I need, so I’ve been weighing all my options. Here’s what I’ve come up with.

The Eddie Bauer Miracle Suit:

This suit has a nice, classic shape. The neckline would be flattering, and I could probably slip one side over for public breast feeding. Plus I’m a sucker for anything chocolate brown. Including chocolate.

Lands’ End has some surprisingly good options. Here are my favorites from there:


Normally I’d shy away from a suit that looks somewhat baggy like this, but for this summer, I’m thinking it would definitely be to my advantage to have some extra fabric lurking around. Plus all the colors are pretty decent. I could do olive, brown, or black.


This one could work as well. Perhaps my chest will actually be big enough this summer to do a suit like this justice. A girl can dream.


I’m liking this one as well. I think it would look good on me, since my shoulders are on the large side... but breast feeding in this one could get dicey.

My sister told me about the suits at Shade. I have about 15 of their t-shirts, and love them, so I’m thinking maybe I should order a bathing suit from here too. My only problem is settling on a color and style. I’m very drawn to them because they look so long.

What am I missing? I’m sure there are many other options out there. Am I the only one already obsessing about the impending swimsuit season?

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh- I beat you to it, I was doing this a month ago and I found the BEST SUIT of my whole life at www.toast.co.uk. Look under the "warm weather" section for very 50's inspired pieces. I got the skirted bather which is very flattering and the polka dot suit is also fabulous. Pin-up mama!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 7:30:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Great choices, Sara. I really like the first Land's End option you show — the ruched one. Very flattering.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 9:10:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Mode Boutique said...

have you tried modbeclothing.com? they do some really cute cuts.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 10:19:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister, Emily, told me about the suits at www.esther-williams.com. Very retro and cute!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 11:57:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Kara said...

Have you seen the one-piece from Urban Outfitters? It's a younger store, but this is a great suit. . .

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=28381&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=10&iSubCat=24&iProductID=28381

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 2:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Bess said...

Check out shadeclothing's swim line. I was just looking at them 2 seconds ago. Their bottoms look like they could hold in a tummy. I need ones that will hold in a big butt:)
http://www.shadeclothing.com/product/Products.aspx

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 3:19:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Bree said...

I have never commented on your blog before but my friend told me about it so I had to make a comment about the swimming suit. I have a couple modbe swimming suits and they are wonderful. Especially great for after pregnancy bellies. They cinch up around the tummy so hide all the rolls that moms have.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 9:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger eryka said...

I really like modebe swim wear. I think it would be super for after the baby. It's what I'm planning in getting next year since I will be enormous over the summer. Anyone know of cute maternity swimwear?

Thursday, April 19, 2007 at 3:14:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love Shade Clothing! So much so I became a Personal Shopper! Feel free to use my PS CODE MAU23780 to get 10% off your first order and 5% off each additional order! Coupon MAU23780

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 at 10:34:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Andrea said...

Just wanted you to know that the Summer Clearance prices get even better today! Starting today, take an additional 20% off all summer clearance prices! This promotion will run through August 6th! Some items are more than 50% off!! Place your orders ASAP as items are bound to fly off the shelves!

www.shadeclothing.com/~ps~155

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 3:55:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home